Thermal imaging working?

SXO

I just bought the CMSF and Marines bundle and am currently getting used to the game having to relearn some stuff from the previous CM games. One thing that has bugged me is my Stryker vehicles constantly popping smoke when under small-arms fire, but then being unable to return fire or provide suppressing fire. I was under the impression these vehicles had Thermal Imaging equipment and were capable of seeing through regular smoke (not the brown kind), and in fact looking through the manual I see this line here:

Smoke grenade launchers attached to the RWS can be fired to interfere with various enemy threats. The thermal imager allows the Stryker crew to see through the smoke it generates.

So what gives? Is this feature not currently working correctly? Or have I only been using Strykers without the RWS system? And if so, how can I tell which variant I have?

Is the WP incendiary if it touches infantry?

I don't know about that, but I can confirm that I have lost men by dropping arty smoke on them. Of course, that could just be due to the fact that said smoke was delivered by 155mm naval artillery, which would hurt a lot if it lands on you, incendiary or not.

19Kyle72,

Last I checked, today's WP isn't like the WW II stuff, which burst and flung burning phosphorous particles all over the place, making for a formidable antimateriel and antipersonnel weapon. Today's 155 WP shell uses phosphorous impregnated felt wedges which are base ejected. This is to keep the smoke low and sustain the coverage duration.

http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/jah/jah_0461.html

While I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with one of those burning wedges, I'd say any antipersonnel effect from this shell would be purely incidental. The empty carrier would kill you quite handily, though, and it's a bad combination to mix with dry brush and trees!

Regards,

John Kettler