Syrian uniform mod question

Is it possible to mod the uniforms of Syrian Forces so that Airborne or Republican Guard forces have different uniforms than regular mech infantry? Obviously one can mod their uniforms, but I want to be able to mod them so that are not only different, but also different from each other -- i.e., Airborne having uniform type A, Republican Guards wearing uniform type B, regulars with uniform type C, and Reserves with Uniform type D. Is it possible to do this?

As far as I can tell, for the Syrians can have different looks for Reserve units and everyone else, and the Special forces look different, but I have to select one "look" for regular mech infantry, Guards, and Airborne, and they all look basically alike.

I don't have the Marines module yet...but it sounds like they are sharing unis. The only way to be sure would be to unpack the Marines/1.10 brz file and look to see if there is a texture for Airborne.

As you may have figured out, in CMSF, Mech and Republican Guards share a uni along with the Team Leader in a Command squad for Reserves. Reserve and Militia both share the OD uni...so these cannot have separate uniforms applied without it changing their counter parts.

Now, you can have differing unis/helmets/pouches within the same unit family by adding a number to the end of the bmps...Birdstrike/El Terrifico has some nice mods on CMMODS that if renamed and renumbered could give you lots of options.

Another suggestion is that you could always make an Airborne mod and then when you play using airborne units just chuck that in your z folder. That'll work fine as long as you don't have Guards or Mech in the scenario as well.

Mord.

Actually how's this for a suggestion for a future patch - and I'm hoping some of the modders will support me on this one - define unique texture file names for every unit in the game, but also have the game load a generic infantry texture if the unit-specific texture is not present.

The point is to have the engine be capable of loading unique textures if they're present, but still not overload the vanilla game with several Gigabytes of redundant copies of the same texture.

That way it's possible to kill two birds with one stone - on one hand modders can still spread their wings and custom-fit the unit look to whichever scenario they're trying to replicate, but at the same time this does not force BF.C to spend any precious artwork development time on creating any extra textures or have the game bloat to several DVDs in size.

It's obvious that some form of a dynamic texture file recognition and loading system is already in the game, seeing how we're able to create multiple versions of the same texture by indexing the file name, so hopefully it's possible to have the game engine look for a unique texture file before it resorts to loading a generic infantry one.

I'm sure a change like this is a classic case of "sounds easy, but it ain't", but with any luck it's at least with-in the realm of possibility.

• 8 months later...