Random unit placement ?

The way to have random unit placement is to go to the AI page, select a group, and draw areas on the map for the units to set up in. Make sure that you have a Setup Zone drawn over that area, and also make sure that the units are placed in that setup zone. The AI will randomly distribute itself.

There is, however, no possibility to randomize the availability of units that I'm aware of.

Oh, this is tangential, but worth remembering. If you place units then resize your map, the position of your units will change.

Vehicles will appear inside buildings, and will move through them as if they weren't there if you start playing the game. Guys on higher storeys will be seen floating in the air like Canada Geese.

The way to have random unit placement is to go to the AI page, select a group, and draw areas on the map for the units to set up in. Make sure that you have a Setup Zone drawn over that area, and also make sure that the units are placed in that setup zone. The AI will randomly distribute itself.

Hi FMB,

The last time I tried, the AI will always put units in the same spots every time the scenario is re-started.

FMB,

I tried a time ago, but no avail. I wanted to create a MOUT scenario where enemy combatants would appear in different buildings every time the scenario was started. Never got it to work as I wanted (groups would appear in the same building every time I started the mission). I will try again when the module is released. Thanks,

Yes they would. I even tried a flat, billiard table map with three setup zones and just one group: they would always choose one setup zone.

Give some time to have a second look at it. I'm glad you say you can make it work. This randomization thing adds a lot of replayability to the scenarios.

Hi FMB,

Sorry for the confusion.

I painted a big, all-covering red setup area in the map, and then I went to the AI menu, select a group of troops and gave setup/deploy orders (the yellow ones) to this group. The yellow setup orders were 4 or 5 non-contiguous square areas inside buildings, and within the big red setup area.

I ran the scenario several times, and the guys would appear always in one of the 4/5 squares.

I had a little look see at this for my own curosity too and for reference:

[Assuming blue-human v red-ai]

If you're not planning on a RED human player don't paint any RED set up zones from the MAP EDITOR window.

If you want to specifically place RED units in a starting position place them by hand in the DEPLOY UNITS section of the UNITS editor and do NOT assign them an AI SETUP ZONE from the AI EDITOR window.[However as long as you assign them a AI group you can give them further AI orders without having to paint a set-up zone. They will begin from where you manually placed them]

If you want to have the AI decide where to put the Red units, assign the unit an AI group using the F1 - F8 keys.

Paint an AI SETUP zone from the AI EDITOR window.

As has mentioned previously in another thread, painting squares that include buildings and outside buildings the AI will put units outside builidngs. If you want AI to use a set-up zone inside a building make sure it is fully in the building only.

The AI SetUp Zone needs to be large enough to encompass all the units assigned [from the manual]