CM on LCD display?

As the prices continue to fall on LCD displays of decent size (17" for under $600USD and 18" for under $1000USD), I'm starting to get that damnable upgrade itch again. I know the response times of LCD's are still borderline (~25ms) for first person shooters & flight sim's, but ... what about for something like CM?

Is anyone playing CM on a 17 or 18 inch LCD? If so, any concerns, issues, problems or warnings? What brand/model are you using?

Thanks,

You're going to get a bit of variation in terms of quality of LCD displays. Very generally speaking the more money you spend and the newer the LCD, the better it should usually look. A high contrast ratio is one of the more important features of an LCD that affects image quality (the Apple LCDs are at 300:1).

Running an LCD screen at it's native resolution is probably the best idea for image quality. When it comes to larger LCD's I've worked with the SGI and Sun 18" models, but they have lower contrast ratios than the Apples. They both do a fair job, but I still don't prefer them to a very good CRT, but this is my subjective opinion. I haven't personally inspected the new Apple LCDs (the 15 & 17" Studios and the 22" Cinema), but I've heard very good reviews about them. Apple says that their monitors aren't compatible with PCs since they use a proprietary digital interface, but I'm not sure how different this interface is from a DVI connector on a PC.

A DVI interface for an LCD can make a difference if the LCD can handle a direct digital input. Some LCD's are geared for only being used with analog video sources, and hence their internal ADC circuitry can't be bypassed (which is the advantage that DVI is supposed to offer).

I don't know what brands or models of LCD displays to recommend to you. In the US$600-1000 range for 17/18" LCDs there may be some good models, but there may be some dogs too. This CNET listing of LCD's under US$1000 may be a place to start, though it may not be absolutely comprehensive. I'd suggest looking at a display in use before purchasing since specs don't tell enough of the story when it comes to monitors (or other computer peripherals for that matter).

[ February 26, 2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Apple says that their monitors aren't compatible with PCs since they use a proprietary digital interface, but I'm not sure how different this interface is from a DVI connector on a PC.
Schrullenhaft, Apple's ADC sends both power and USB feeds thru the same came and connector.

Dr. Bott makes and adaptor that allows PC and older Mac owners to use the nwere ADC Apple displays.

Gyrene