CMAK and Radeon Card

I have an AMD 4000+ with a Radeon X850XT .About a year ago I tried to install CMAK on this then new machine but had terrible problems with text etc.

At that time someone from this site I think gave me a "Radeon Text mod" which I applied and the game then displayed successfully.

However I have not played this game now for about 6 months though it has remained on my hard drive. Today I fancied another spell with CMAK but when I tried to fire up the game I could get nothing but a white rectangle with some black blocks on it----no sound-- no screen changes --no joy whatsoever.

I have tried all the steps suggested in the Help section on this site but to no effect.

I am very puzzled as after the fix a year ago it was running fine but now total failure. I have made no real modifications to my comp.since the time CMAK was running.Im afraid I cannot remember in any detail the fix I was given to use.It looks like 3 BMPs to replace 3 other BMPs in the game folder but I have forgotten the precise info and instructions.

If anyone can help and throw any light on this fatal problem I should be very grateful--I should be very sad never to be able to use this game again

Many thanks

Are you saying that only the text is broken (as it was before) or are you saying that you can't see CMAK at all ?

If it is just the text that is unlegible, then you need to download this zip file:

Radeon_text_fix.zip

This zip file has three BMP files in it (in three separate folders, use the 'Afrika Korps' one) that need to be copied to the the BMP subdirectory of your CMAK install. The text of the Read Me file is:

This file should correct the text problem that occurs while using Anti-Aliasing with some Radeon video cards in which the text appears as yellow on white.

Extract the contents of the .zip file into a temporary folder on your computer

For CMBO, copy the three files (30000.bmp, 30001.bmp and 30002.bmp) and paste them into your CMBO\BMP folder, overwriting the existing files.

For CMBB or CMAK, copy the three files (0.bmp, 1.bmp and 2.bmp) and paste them into your BMP folder, overwriting the existing files.

As always, you should back up the three files that are to be replaced before you overwrite them.

Please note, Battlefront.com takes no responsibility for the use of this workaround nor has it been tested with any third party mods.

Fairly simple, and the originals are within each subfolder if you need to replace them again.

If your issue is that the display is completely messed up and you can't see anything, then that is another issue that these BMPs won't resolve. In this case it may be an issue of video drivers and possibly back dating or changing some of the 3D options.

Many thanks--I reinstalled the game and patch and overwrote with the 3 BMP fix and eureka---a visible game and text.

For some reason only computers themselves understand, the exact same procedure which had worked 6months ago,was not working a few minutes ago , but is now working again.

Many thanks for your detailed assistance and help----much appreciated.

• 3 months later...
the print has a black background instead of looking like whatever panel its against. Can this background problem be fixed?
Not that I know of. I'm not sure if text will appear normally (using the original text bitmaps) if you turn off Anti-Aliasing (Smoothvision).

Another thing is to experiment with the background colors on the original bitmaps. I don't know if the 'pink' (R:255,G:0,B:255) that is used for transparencies within the 3D window will transparently show the original background or if it will just give you text with a pink background. My impression is that any color, other than white, that is used as a background for the text will show up as an opaque background of that color.

[ January 17, 2007, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

ATI decided not to support fog-tables under DirectX. No setting in any ATI 3rd party registry tool will change this - the code simply isn't there to support fog-tables. I think I saw a driver a long time ago that attempted to support fog-tables, but it didn't work. The entire CM 3D screen was grayed-out (early CMBO days). Never saw any attempted fog-table support after that.

On the Mac however, under QuickDraw 3D RAVE, fog-tables were supported by ATI drivers. So it isn't an issue of the hardware being incapable, just a decision by ATI not to support the feature.

For CMx2, I don't think you'll have any problems with fog (for what little there may be of it in CMSF) on an ATI. Currently the only problems that BTS is having with ATI within CMx2 is shadow effects due to bit-depth accuracy (for shadows) or something to that effect.