Dismounted crew bug

Hi guys,

In case this hasn't been reported already (and probably already squashed in 1.10) this is a bug I saw last night.

Using 1.08 I played the Al Huqf meeting engagement scenario in WEGO mode as the hapless Red side.

My BMP-2 was providing overwatch before the Bradley finally rolled out of it's starting blocks and tore up the town. The Bradley quickly put some Bushmaster love into the BMP (at least 5 shots hitting) before moving itself out of LOS and began engaging other targets. To my surprise, the BMP suffered no damage, but both crew members (regs) decided to exit the vehicle and head for the nearest building. The turn then ended.

Seeing that the BMP was fine, I cancelled the move which the crew had plotted towards the inside of the building and gave them a fresh order to get back into the BMP.

As the new action phase unfolded I saw the crew head for the BMP and climb in - excellent I thought - the BMP is operational once more.

However, as the turn ended, I noticed that although the crew were inside, they were not in control of the BMP, instead, the 'floating crew icon' indicated they were merely passengers. In short I had a BMP whose status was something like 'dismounted' and 2 crew sitting inside doing nothing.

In order to try and solve this, I gave them the 'dismount' order for the following turn and watched. They dismounted fine and sat close to the BMP. As the turn ended, I then gave them a 'quick' back into the BMP. As the action phase unfolded, they ran towards the BMP and got in...this time, they were merged into the vehicle - and the BMP was 'officially' back in action.

Next turn I gave the undamaged and fully armed BMP a 'target light' order at a building, only to see the status of the gunner go to firing...but with the BMP just sitting there. It simply would not fire. For the following turn I gave a 'target' order at a closer building, full LOS, nice blue line, but again, it did nothing...despite the gunner's status still displayed as firing.

Although refusing to fire, the BMP could move - so I gave it fast move orders towards some likely enemy locations. It moved into position - took some fire - and duly sat there (still with the gunner's status as firing) until it was hit by multiple M203 rifle grenades and was 'destroyed'. The crew bailed again and were subsequently mown down not far from the vehicle.

A bug surely?

Anyway, I am hoping this has been noted and fixed for 1.10.

Cheers

So far I cannot duplicate this. I tested a BMP 2 but not under combat and not with the crew voluntarily bailing out. So an apple/orange result. The basic action works fine. The question seems to be: The BMP was mobile, suffered no damage, so why did the crew bail out. Why not pop smoke and back away? Do you happen to have a save file you could send me?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking a look. No save file unfortunately. It will be a tricky one to replicate as usually the BMP is toast once the Bushmaster starts hammering away, and I haven't seen a crew bail out of a vehicle before it has been destroyed before...

The BMP was stationary, in ambush with a covered arc, it then took hits - didn't pop smoke, or reverse - and the crew decided it was time to bail.

I reckon - and this is of course pure speculation - that had I let them complete their 'bail' order and let them reach the safety of the house i.e the end point, then ordered them back into the vehicle - then I wouldn't have had the first issue of the BMP 'seeing' them as any normal passengers instead of recognising them as the crew. When I did this 'properly' i.e dismounted them, let them complete their moves and then order them back they became the crew again.

Why the BMP then refused to fire any form of weapon (despite the 'firing' status) after they re-crewed is something for those in the know to figure out :)

Hi guys,

I have just witnessed the same thing in 1.10. BMP-3 get's hit by a lot of fire, crew decide to bail even though the vehicle is not actually destroyed. I check the damage report- optics are damaged - weapons systems are intact.

I cancel the dismount way-point of the crew (strangely enough this time I only see 1 of the 2 crew members, one is yellow wounded status) and send them back into the BMP. Next turn, they are back in and 'in-command' of the vehicle. Already the gunner's status is set to 'firing'.

I give it a fire order and as expected, nothing happens... the BMP does accept and carry out move orders yet will not fire anything.

This time I have save files available. Who do I send them to and how?

Cheers

David

Hi guys,

I have just witnessed the same thing in 1.10. BMP-3 get's hit by a lot of fire, crew decide to bail even though the vehicle is not actually destroyed. I check the damage report- optics are damaged - weapons systems are intact.

I cancel the dismount way-point of the crew (strangely enough this time I only see 1 of the 2 crew members, one is yellow wounded status) and send them back into the BMP. Next turn, they are back in and 'in-command' of the vehicle. Already the gunner's status is set to 'firing'.

I give it a fire order and as expected, nothing happens... the BMP does accept and carry out move orders yet will not fire anything.

This time I have save files available. Who do I send them to and how?

Cheers

David

If the optics were damaged then surely the main gun cannot see/sight on a target therefore cannot fire? Care to send your save files to me - address in my sig.

Cheers fur noo

George

Hi George,

That makes sense :) However, I *thought* I have seen AFV's fire their weapons with optics damage before...and the BMP-3 has 3 weapon systems to chose from. Is there an option to fire over iron sights in these things should things go horribly wrong? :D

Will send file in any case.

Cheers