Newbie getting beat up by the AI

I have been through the Russian Training scenarios. Now I am working through the "tiny" scenarios.

Scenario "RAS Point 133" has a green German Inf company supported by two Stug attacking two weakly supported Sov 76 AT guns. There is some cover for the attacker but not too much.

I have been getting badly shot up on several tries. My suppression fire doesn't seem to suppress anyone and fast movement gets infantry killed while slow, methodical movement does better but I run out of time and bullets before I reach the objective. Also the AT guns have an uncanny ability to get first shot kills on the Stug.

So, trying to figure out what is going on I replayed from the Sov side. Now my defenders are suppressed about half the time but are still effective mowing down green infantry in the open, no problem. The AT guns, on the other hand, take a half-dozen hits to kill one Stug while the STug hits them in the woods for a second-shot kill.

It is making me think that my luck is really bad or the play balance is quite tilted toward the AI.

I'd be happy to hear any thoughts on the matter.

Hi Banjar. ISTR that one of the training scenarios required area fire to be used by the StuG?

So scouting makes sense, to spot the guns. vs the AI the guns might open up on infantry, unless the designer has limited their ammo to AP, so scouting need not be too expensive.

The AI can be quite clever at picking places to shoot from - its easier for a computer to do the maths.

Hi

I would walk away from this battle until you have a bit more experience.

You are looking at one of the "Rugged Assault/Defence" series which are designed by top designers like Andreas Bierman to be hard to play for 'grogs'. The other ones in the series are:

Into Russia We Go B&T

Panzerspitze Kaiser RAS

Road to Koltov RAS

Chernishaya Heights B&T

Midsummers Nightmares B&T

Turning East

Small Assault RAS

Just because they are small does not mean they are easy.

If you are having difficulty finding the right type of scenario to play have a look at my complete scenario listing at www.cmmods.com under my name as a designer. The listing is in excel and will allow you to sort some 1400 scenarios and then pick a size and force type that you want. Then the description should help sort out the easier ones to play. The listing also tells you where to find most of these scenarios.

Or perhaps the members of the forum could draw up a list for you. I played "Jagermeister" for ages and got killed coming over the crest every time until I leanrt how to handle smoke from artillery. Once over the crest, I killed everyone in sight. But for that scenario you need the arcane knowledge of a) use of smoke B) how to use JS-2s. So not one for newbies.

cheers