Can anybody help me?

Hey all, new to forums!

So I stumbled across this game title and decided to research it, and from what i've found, it looks amazing!

But I have a few questions:

1-I noticed in a screenshot a sort of 2D map, but I also saw 3D models of vehicles and infantry and stuff. Is the game played on a large 3D battlefield like, for example, Company of Heroes, were you click on individual units to select them and give them move/attack/whatever orders with the mouse?

2-I'm all for realism. Would you say that this is hardcore extreme realistic? That would be good :) Or even pretty realistic is fine.

Thanks for any help everyone!

Hi Twan

Welcome :)

The game is played out a 3D map, although you can change your viewpoint on the battlefield so your position can be done with the wroms or floating above the action looking down on a 2D map. It's easy to switch between the two views. The models are good in game but the mods available from http://www.cmmods.com take the game to a new level in terms of model detail and immersion factor.

As for realism - well John Kettler in this thread makes the point very eloquently http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=83105

There are also several sites where you can download, for free, custom built scenarios - more scenarios than you could about play in a lifetime I think!

http://www.the-scenario-depot.com

And

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/

Cheers fur noo

George

Great thanks all!

Oh one more thing:

I heard from a customer review on Amazon that the game is great, but between turns it takes sometimes like 45 minutes to autosave the game. Is this true?

Oh and since turns are 1 minute long, can you intervene in the action since I heard german tanks can pivot other tanks, and it seems that for this to be effective it would have to be done right away not a minute later when the enemy tank is already behind it?

Re the autosave - in CMBB I've never seen it take that long to save a turn. I play and design pretty large scenarios but most take less than 30s to save. I guess though that this is a variable depending on the type of PC you have e.g. processor speed and RAM.

No you can't interven in during the video playing sequence. In saying that the tac AI is pretty good in making it's own choices i.e. if it sees a threat (mind the crew don't have your god like view of the battlefield) then it will do it's best to respond to the threat. Any glitches in this you can put down to some scared tank crews panicking! :)

Ok thanks!

So in between turns during pauses in the action, you see the 3D battlefield with all the units and can order them around from there, then when the action starts, you watch them do it?

Got it in one - but as the man said best to play the demo that way ou can get a feel for all the subtilties of the game. Enjoy! :)

Cheers fur noo

George

You can find a lot of videos on youtube that enthusiasts have made over the years. You can get an idea about the graphics that you will see in the game, see this for one example: http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=5tY2dL7aKZw&feature=related,

But there's no way these movies capture the absorbing nature of human to human play. You don't play CMAK or CMBB for the graphics. Playing other folk in the CM series has ruined play vs the AI for me. If I've got nothing better to do I'll give it a go, but I just can't take AI seriously as an opponent.

Hey all, new to forums!

1-I noticed in a screenshot a sort of 2D map

I don't know what you saw, but if it was a simplistic grid based view, that is probably the map editor. It uses a simple 2d interface for terrain and elevations to create a 3d map. The 3d game maps can also be zoomed out to a high altitude top down view.

Is the game played on a large 3D battlefield like, for example, Company of Heroes, were you click on individual units to select them and give them move/attack/whatever orders with the mouse?

Yes, the game is played that way, except in case it escaped your notice, CM is turn based. "WEGO", turn based orders but simultaneous execution gives a unique pace to a game, and a much more cinematic experience. If you are expecting a game of the visual quality of COH you may be disappointed. The game has a very steep learning curve, and the graphics are pretty dated, but still have a certain unique charm. Be sure to come back and ask all your noob;) questions after you try the demo.

2-I'm all for realism. Would you say that this is hardcore extreme realistic?

Yes, yes I would. Real armour penetration, artillery, ranges are never seen in a "hollywood" strategy game. You should be impressed.