Kamikazes, Heroes, Banzai, Seabees, Marines, Legends, Naval Leaders, Air Leaders

Okay, I gotta say: I'd love to have the items in the title of this thread :)

In this order:

1) Naval Leaders (per boat, you can assign them on launch)

2) Air Leaders (Pappy, Dolittle)

3) Seebees (John Wayne)

4) Heroes (Sgt Stryker)

5) Legends (MacArthur)

6) Kamakazis

7) Marines

Somebody feed off my energy, lets get this done Hubbie :)

-Legend

Jon_J, the naval leaders are sorely needed and would be a great help. The Having the option of making an attachment to a ship for that purpose would work nicely.

I don't know if you intended to make such a fine distinction, but I commend you anyway. You have MacArthur as a legend and not a hero. Well done.

MacArthur

- Not on alert 24 hours after the Pearl Harbor attack.

- Had not followed the war plan and stockpiled food on Corregidor.

- Had the temerity to hold a grudge against General Wainright for surrendering.

Well done indeed, Mr Jon_J.

For a hero, may I suggest we don't need a fictional character. We can use Chesty Puller. If you see newsreels of him in action, the strain is written on his face. Hard bitten Marine who felt every casualty and kept fighting.

SeaBees might be used to get resources into production faster or to increase captured resources from half production to full production?

Naval Leaders assigned to ships. Anybody play the game "U.S. Civil War" by Victory Games? Same principle, assign "Army Leaders" to the Army. Assign a Naval Leader to the Naval "stack of ships". But, since we don't have stacking, assign them to ships. If the ship sinks, the leader can be whacked too, or "maybe survive".

The Japs get their boy, Yamamoto. The dude commanded his own battleship, rammed people to his end.

Seebees would be a special engineer group (expensive to buy too) which could help build air bases on islands.

I know this is a strategic game & not squad leader. But face facts, morale & leadership is critical. The Japanese people believed in the Divine Wind. That belief lead them to Kamakazi. The Japanese ground leaders are just as important where you place them. Do you put a kick butt leader on an island in which might be surrounded, yet could hold the island & cause much pain to the Yanks...or do you put him on the Mainland to fight Chinese.

Hey, you'd have to buy leaders too :) Another strategy for the game!

• 2 weeks later...

Id love to add my two cents worth J.J.R. but I grew up playing mostly European WW2 games,but from what ive read you seem to know alot about the Pacific.I think you are right in that the game should have Kamakazis and Nukes.If no Nukes then America should get something else because they spent enormous amounts on the whole Manhattan project.

I sure am going to buy the game and learn .Ill let you Pacific experts wipe me out untill I get the hang of it.I guess it depends on how the game is designed if the Japanese have any chance of winning.In reality they had almost no hope.

One interesting think I saw and read about nukes is that the Japanese exploded a nuclear device just before the war ended.Perhaps this could also be added into the game.From what I learned is that they were going to bury it where they figured the Amis. were going to land and set if off.Glad we beat them to it.

Fascinating on Japanese nuke - didn't realise this.

I think Kamakaze could be a setting on Japanese air units (like intercept, grounded etc.) - increased damage vs naval targets, increased casualties, no intercept.

We do need Naval leaders but air I think not (let Naval leaders boost carrier air).

I think Japanese morale should never fall below a threshold value.

Lets see how Hubert's solution works to island hopping before deciding we need ampibious assaults directly on costal tiles - though its still my preferred option.

I kind of wanted a jungle warfare technology - improves supply and decreases combat penalties in difficult terrain. Would be a nice way of simulating early japanese success in difficult terrain - allies would need to work to catch up.

I don't believe the Japanese exploded a nuclear device at any time.

They did do some very preliminary work toward a bomb, but didn't go any farther. So some scientists were aware of the potential.

Even if they had wanted to go farther, they lacked the industiral resources to commit and the number of scientific minds (think of it as creative critical mass) to pursue the project.

thetwo from what I read and saw on T.V.(I know how inaccurate it can be)one of the Japanese nuclear scientists claimed they set one off on Korea just days before the war ended.One of the reasons why(besides the fact that they were nuts)the Japanese fought on ws because of this hope of building one.Some scientists didnt think it was possible for Japan to accomplish this but there are some claim they did.Im just telling you what I saw.

I alway's call an "ACE" an "ACE" and a "SPADE" a "SPADE!",...unless i say so otherwise!.

Although i have 'No-Concrete-Proof' or 'Thorough-Understanding' about JAPANESE-NUKE'S...what little i have come across...is that the 'Germans' by mean's of using a 'U-Boat' which was dispatched on a mission to Japan,...was sent with the information/know-how & technology/equipment required to be able to create an 'Atom-Bomb!'.

That information...is still sketchy!,...i wouldn't bet my life on it!,...but...it just may have some basis of truth to it???.

Actually the Japanese and Geramans were working on nuclear weapons at the same time as the Manahatten Project. The Germans had a heavy water facility in German-controlled heavy water production plant, Norsk-Hydro, at Vemork, Norway. This was damaged by the British. It is not known how much material Japan received from Germany, but at least one shipment, 560kg of Uranium Oxide which was sent to Japan by a German Unterseeboot U-234 was intercepted after surrender at sea in 1945.

Unterseeboot 234 (U-234) was sent to Japan in April 1945 to deliver 560 kg of unprocessed uranium oxide for the Japanese program, as well as a disassembled Me-262 jet fighter and assorted German military technology. Earlier in 1944, U-219 and U-195 had reached Djakarta with 12 broken down components for the V-2 rocket. The Japanese never did detonate a nuclear weapon nor was any radiation in the region found to show that they did. I hope this helps all.

Isn't it interesting that the initial prosecutors of the war were well aware of the advantages of air supremacy? Both had the training and the machines to dictate the pace of the air war early in the conflict.

Equally interesting is that later they lost focus of the paramount need to continue that premise. What a gross oversight, actually leading to their downfall.

Eventually the Germans saw the light and tried to recapture that most important parameter, but due to inadequate management of resources failed to follow through.

Which leads to a further acknowledgement, notice that the premier military power today continues to lead in that arena. Glad they haven't lost sight of the importance of controlling the third dimension.

The Germans tried to control the 4th dimension by dabbling into occult rituals. With that said I think it´s in order to introduce summoned demons and spells for the Germany, possibly as some sort of technology. After all Himmler was an adept wizard :)

Will the Japanese start with A6M Zero's as in the real war? They had a big edge over our Hellcats F4F at the beginning of the war and will this be reflected. Thanks

Not wanting to nitpick, but the F4F was the WILDcat. The F6F was the Hellcat, and it didn't suffer from the Zero much at all.

Actually, it wasn't so much the Zero, it was the veteran pilot in the Zero that made all the difference. When the Japanese ran out of vets, those Zeros weren't worth much to them.

Post 21 has officially dumped this thread into the Twilight Zone though I think.

Might as well now annouce the Allies won because they had god on their side.

Mind sets like this are why some grand strategy games can't be taken seriously unfortunately.

I'm only interested in simulating REAL military history. For anything flaky, I'd rather be playing a military scifi roleplaying game like Alternity.

Yes thanks for correcting my post you are correct on Wildcat and hellcat, thats what I get for typing and talking to the kids at the same time. Actually though the Zero had a better climb and turn rate than the F4F WildCat. It however could take more damage than the Zero and continue to fly.

The Germans tried to control the 4th dimension by dabbling into occult rituals. With that said I think it´s in order to introduce summoned demons and spells for the Germany, possibly as some sort of technology. After all Himmler was an adept wizard :)

I don't doubt Himmler summoned demons. I don't doubt Himmler is in a very hot place right now. If you bring religion into WW-2, the Japs believed their Emperor was God (god).