The Essential Mods

CMMODS is an awesome resource. That thing deserves the lifetime achievement award particularly considering the trauma and love behind it. An amazing story quite simply.

I am looking to get back into CM with CMAK, but I don't want to wade through 15+ pages of mods to find stuff.

What are, in your opinion the essential:

Desert Terrain Mod(s)

European Terrain Mod(s)

Uniform Mod(s)

Vehicle/Tank Mod(s)

Sound Mod(s)

UI Mod(s)

I'm looking for "packs" if possible.

Is there a good mod manager for CMAK?

Is there a mega download file for CMAK that'd contain someone's favorites, etc already compiled someplace?

Thanks in advance!

The CMMODS search engine is your friend.

Mod packs are static, and tend to reflect one person's taste, which may be very different from your own.

It's far better to construct your mod look one scenario at a time. You'll discover, among other things, that you can make early Sicily look very different from mid- or late-war Italy, or Normandy or northern Europe, even when using the same exact units.

But you'll never know that you could unless you use the search engine.

Medlinke -

Do a search, going back a long ways, for "essential mods", "best mods" etc. You will find lots of threads about this topic.

DavidI

That's the problem though and why there are tons of threads about the best mods. People just don't wanna do the homework and want a new list/thread for themselves. What they don't realize is that by the time this thread becomes a decent list. They could of already found/read what they were looking for in older threads.

But anyway, as Philippe already said, it's best to mod one scenario at a time. It's what most do when starting from scratch, besides having a backup. You'd be surprised how quickly you can mod a scenario of average size.

I did search. I did the reading.

There were a TON of mods listed.

I was looking for something more focused. "Essential" in that they might answer the question:

If you only installed 5 mods which would they be?

I "get it" that people have asked before and that this has been answered before. I am not looking for some massive list. I can go to CMMODS.com and just download a ton of stuff. However, as with CMBO, there were like 4 or 5 mods that made a huge difference...

Magua's Terrain

Magua's Skies

There was an awesome sound pack

There was a winter texture pack for Allies and one for Axis for vehicles

Without those 4 you wouldn't want to get involved because they took the game immersion factor to the next level. Now I haven't played CMBO in YEARS and I could rattle off that list no problems.

I asked a simple question and got nothing but people implying I'm too lazy/stupid/inconsiderate to search with the exception of Der Alte Fritz & Verg.

I think part of the problem is that unlike CMBO, there are no essential mods that can fix your problem with a few clicks. But to take a minimalist approach would be:

terrain: Nisseuh

hi contrast terrain Green as Jade

uniforms: Andrew Fox

vehicles: MIkeyD David Ingelet Uncle Tgt Pat

winter vehicles DEY

UI mods Vincent splash screens, Vossie UI

Sound mods no idea

Mystery vehicle (essential) DAF Uncle Tgt

About 50 mods should do you a basic set of terrain and vehicles, 150 a good set and about 350 and you have what I have.

cheers