taking down KV tanks in 1941

hey all,

I just downloaded some of the "Panzer Count" missions from blowtorchscenarios.com and I'm playing the first operation, Strachwitz at Dubno. Nice big map, lots of nice terrain features.. check it out

Now, this particular operation takes place in June 1941 so I have some Pz IIC's, Pz IIIG's, a few Pz IIIH's and some Pz IVE's as well as a few other vehicles and an infantry force hiding in the middle of the map. I've come up against some BT and T-26 tanks and took care of them with ease, but 2 KV tanks show up and now I'm running for cover. I have absolutely no tanks that can scratch their armor except for a few 88 Flaks in cover with the infantry.. who don't have very good lines of sight so they are somewhat useless at the moment.

I did read a good article by pooroldspike about taking down T-34s early on but I'm at a loss for the KVs, their armor is just too good against my guns

Close assault by infantry or hail fire on the KVs from multiple angles from your panzers. The KVs although they outclass anything the Germans have are crewed by poorly trained guys. Immobilise the beast or pelt it with AP and the crew will bail. Only snag is you will lose some panzers in the process. Think what it was like for the actual panzer crewman at this time! ;)

Cheers fur noo

George

ps glad you like the map :)

Method 1:

Hail fire from unspotted shooters. Hope for gun or track hits. 20mm AA are cheap, 3.7 ATG more realistic. Have both under command of bonus HQs (stealth and combat) to increase hit chance and reduce risk of getting spotted.

The PzII has an autocannon that will fire several rounds per ammo count - that one will be great for hail fire.

Method 2

Coordinate your attack so the KVs aim at one side, then withdraw the tanks there and attack from the other. Repeat. This way you will reduce exposure of your tanks to return fire as the KV turret is slow.

Plan:

a) Tank 1 shows up far away from the KVs which, ideally hull down, pings at them

B) KVs turn.

c) MGs ore arty button KVs

d) Tank 1 reverses to turret down

e) meanwhile a whole pack of tanks appears in the rear, guns blazing. Buttoned KVs won't spot them for some time

f) Tank 2 behind the pack appears.

g) KVs start to turn

h) Pack of tanks reverses to cover

i) Tanks 2 remains a little bit longer. You want the KVs to spot it and complete their turn.

j) Another pack appears in what is now the rear of the KVs...

As you can't order a withdrawal after the KVs start to turn, you must time the event. Let the pack appear at second 30-40. If the KV starts turning at the end of the turn, retreat them early (10secs delay), if not give them 30secs delay.

Having 2 packs will increase suppression on the KVs as they don't get much rest.

Packing all of your tanks on 1 side might work, but there usually are not enough good firing places from which you can quickly back out of LOS, so the 2 pack method might bring all of your tanks into the game. Mass counts.

Using the TacAI "features" (ie borg-spotting)

If there is a lone inf unit with the KVs, borg spotting will make sure the KVs target the bait - but they will react quicker to your packs. Often borg spotting does not work during the turn but only during the orders phase - which helps you.

Gruß

Joachim

hey jaochim, that tactic seems good against a lone KV tank or a few perhaps, if I have vastly superior numbers.. In my case, I've spotted at least 2 KVs as well as around 3 T34s so I'm probably better off not engaging them unless they come into view of my 88s which I think they will not

In this current scenario (and I also posted this on the scenario depot site) there is a large group of russian tanks on the left side of the map, to where the german tanks start from, but they don't seem to be doing anything besides waiting. I sent a recon platoon over there to watch them in the wheat field and they don't move. I know this is a german attacking scenario but it still seems a bit weird that the russians aren't trying anything.. not even a flank attack

Besides the weakness in the AI, I believe that Russian tank crews in 1941 are fairly inexperienced--and thus will be non-agressive.

Thus the typical 1941 scenario: maneuvering Germans versus timid Russians--with a KV or 2 thrown into the Russian mix to at least make the Germans nervous. (and a Russian SMG or two, as a "nuke" threat to over-eager geman infantry at close quarters.