Storm Of Steel Diplomacy Bug

I thought it would be a good idea to have the Poles as Axis so I decided to go for France and England first and spent some diplo chits on Poland. France fell, Operation Sealion started in early 1941 and I managed to bring Poland from 80% allied-friendly down to fiftysomething when a window popped up and said "Soviet Union annexes Poland". :eek:

Even worse, my diplo chits spent on Poland weren't returned to the pool and I noticed no consequences in other countries being more axis-friendly due to the communist attack on Poland. Furtheron, a few turns later I got the message that the Foreign Ministry was pleased to tell me that Poland has turned towards the Axis side by 7%. This happend 3 times, until the last diplo chit was returned.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Fred

Did you agree to the Axis-Soviet Pact?

If so you [wank] reneged on your "promise" to Stalin to divvy up Poland, and he eventually got tired of waiting and invaded pre-emptorily. [/wank]

If not you got hosed, as Poland (before the Axis-Soviet Pact of course) had a non-aggression pact with Germany and in that situation may very well decide to become an Axis Minor Ally.

Most likely you just did something which Hubert and his testers didn't anticipate and the game wasn't able to provide a realistic outcome to your "France First" strategy.

John, I was in no position to agree to a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact because I didn't attack Poland. Maybe, as you said, my strategy was indeed not tried out before (at least Hubert & his team didn't do it).

Bill, the whole of Poland was annexed at the end of the AI turn and quite a surprise that was! I could have easily taken back Warsaw in my subsequent turn, because the Red Army had not one single soldier in Poland. Unfortunately I had no unit handy that was in reach. So in the next turn the AI was able to operate a bunch of troops into and around Warsaw. :rolleyes:

A "fanwank" is a strained attempt to justify some odd or nonsensical outcome, usually seen in the comics or fantasy/SF circles. I haven't bought PDE, but I assumed there was a dialogue box in SoS which would ask you if you wanted to agree to the Pact, BEFORE you invaded. I believe there is one after the fall of France which asks you if you want to activate Vichy or not, isn't there?

Originally posted by Fred19:

John, I was in no position to agree to a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact because I didn't attack Poland. Maybe, as you said, my strategy was indeed not tried out before (at least Hubert & his team didn't do it).

During play testing I left Poland alone several times and also saw USSR annex it. Unlike you I never put diplo into it, however... it never crossed my mind tbh.

Looks like a good catch to me.