How is scenario design so far?

It seems there are far fewer option in the way of units in CM:SF for scenario designers. I'm sure there are far more option in other areas though.

I'm wondering though if it will take far less time for all scenarios to 'be the same' or 'been there done that' with the limited units available.

Also, what improvements are 'desperately' needed to the scenario designer in upcoming patches?

And, last but not least, how would you compare the designer in CM:SF to those in earlier modules? In terms of flexibilty, product created, ease of use, power, and fun.

Thanks,

Javaslinger

How is the scenario editor? Some answers:

good:

-Map making is much easier now and more fun.

-Smaller tile size allows more detailed maps

-Buildings give many new possibilities compared to CMx1.

-AI plans and baked commands allow AI to do things the CMx1 AI would have never done.

Could be improved:

-something to show LOS while deploying units

-It would be nice to have more units - I suppose modules is the planned solution for that.

-I'd like to buy units like in CMx1 - now it's difficult to get a list of what is available and if I'd like to buy something, HOW can I do it? Meaning: which formation should I purchase so that I'll get some unit. I don't know what can be done about this because of C2 stuff, but buying units was better in CMx1.

-AI: if you read threads like this:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000218

you'll notice that it's difficult to create battles against the AI where the AI would function actively like in CMx1. Of course games against a human player are much better, but it will be interesting to see what can be done about this.

Loving the editor in general. However, here are a few suggestions for improvement.

1. Allow top-level HQs to be bought but designated as being "off-map". Units and HQs immediately below the off-map HQ in the chain of command would be in contact with the off-map HQ by the satellite C2 method pretty much always. The radio C2 method would work most of the time but not always, due to distance and LOS issues. The game could just remove the radio C2 icon now and again based on a random probability per minute. Obviously the voice and visual C2 methods would never be possible. This would allow various support assets to be bought in the "Units" section of the editor without breaking the C2 system of the game and would also realistically demonstrate the US side's C2 advantages over the Syrians.

2. Bring back CMx1's reduced strength squads. The designer should have the option to show Syrian pre-battle casualties due to preliminary bombardments and air-strikes and also the option to remove one or two men from a US team to get them to fit into a vehicle.

3. The option to import a map from a saved game. This would allow the designer to make a pristine map and then run a mini battle on it to realistically damage it with artillery and air-strikes. Would save the bother of having to manually damage buildings and place craters.

4. Designate stair and roof access per building rather than all buildings having a central stairwell and a ladder to the roof.

Actually I really like the editor.

I think it's the best improved part of the game.

Smaller tiles, multiple tiles options and combinations of elements on a single tie.

Very nice new elevation tool.

Some thoughts about possible improvements:

-a direct button to go from 2D map designing to 3D preview would be nice.

-more options on units details (ammunition types and quantity, special equipment selection, real strenght -head count-)

-better preview images in 2D map design view about terrain textures and flavor objects.

-better options about road constructions, especially about the highway type and the way " / " or " \ " sections are made.

Some thoughts about possible additions:

-more flavor objects! As far as I am concerned these don't require too much in order to be modeled.... they don't have any impact on gameplay but a larger variety would surely be a nice add.

-more terrain textures! these will be never enought, some more options would be nice.

-more buildings!

THIS ONE would be the greatest and better addition... first of all some industrial modern buildings would surely add a great view in the game, oil or gas storages, oleoducts or oil pipes, cimneys, and so on.

At the time being you have to work with your imagination in order to make out of actual buildings something that looks like industrial. More specific buildings would surely add a great punch in the game.

[ August 31, 2007, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Kieme(ITA) ]

I'd like to see some commercial buildings, shops etc buildings with glass fronts. (Actually, I can simulate this already just by removing the wall but it looks weird.) And billboards. They're everywhere man. Maybe Battlefront could earn some extra cash by selling advertising on shop fronts and billboards :D (BTW, is there a MacDonalds in Damascus?)

For the AI, I'd like to be able to tell units to pop smoke at a location. It would be nice to script vehicles to move to a location, pop smoke and then dismount their passengers. :cool:

I'm assuming that fences are coming in a module?

There are literally thousands of things that could go into the editor but one thing I think would be really cool would be some sports, recreation areas, basketball courts, soccer fields with the boxes. They are ubiquitous.