Any good Fallujah resources?

Hi,

I think for my first proper scenario I'd like to do something from the Battle of Fallujah in November 2004. I have the book "No True Glory" to draw upon but some of the things it talks about are a bit vague. For instance it mentions Phase Line Fran, which I'm pretty sure is Highway 10, but also Phase Line Henry, which is a north-south road at the seam between two USMC battalions. I have Google Earth on my PC but can't decide which road is Phase Line Henry. Can anyone help me?

Also, I think that in addition to the Marines some Stryker units were deployed from Mosul to help in the operation. Does anyone know if they actually fought in the battle?

Thanks for all your help.

I think an interesting part of the battle to depict would be around the "Pizza Slice" on the morning of 12 November 2004. One action I'm thinking of doing involves a platoon led by a Lt. Ackerman. In the early hours of 12 November, Ackerman's platoon passed through the deserted Pizza Slice and crossed Phase Line Fran (Highway 10) to take up position in a 4-story building surrounded by open ground. As dawn broke they found themselves in enemy territory under attack by hordes of insurgents.

Here's a map of the area (south is at the top, as the US attack was from the north). I've added where I think the phase lines are but I'm not sure where the 4-story building is that Ackerman's platoon occupied. Any ideas?

fallujah1.jpg

1st Lt. Elliot Ackerman, 1/8 USMC, was awarded the Silver Star for his conduct during this action. On several occasions during the action he braved enemy fire to help wounded Marines to safety and coordinated their evacuation. He also personally manned an M240G machine gun on the roof of the building to mark targets for supporting tanks, coming under heavy fire in the process. Much of this was after having himself received shrapnel wounds.

Here's a link to his award ceremony:

1st Lt. Elliot Ackerman, 1/8 USMC, receiving Silver Star

[ August 13, 2007, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

Thanks for the links. I will probably pick up the book when it comes out in paperback.

I have been working on a Fallujah scenario over the past few days. I tried representing the "Pizza Slice" on the map but it was too difficult because of all the angles. Instead I have created a very small urban map to try to represent the sort of terrain in the battle. There are several religious buildings (Fallujah was supposed to have the highest density of mosques in Iraq) and lots of narrow and irregular alleyways. At the moment the scenario isn't very exciting and needs a lot more work. For one, the map is too "pristine" at the moment. I need more battle damage. Rubble in the streets. Craters from AC130 strikes preceding the US attack etc.

Screenshot 1: view across Phase Line Henry from dome of minaret.

FallPic1.jpg

Screenshot 2: another view from dome of minaret.

FallPic2.jpg

Screenshot 3: View from large mosque on SW corner of map towards US start positions (behind large 4-story building on NE corner of map)

FallPic3.jpg

Screenshot 4: US Sniper Team looks out over the city from the roof of the 4-story building.

FallPic4.jpg

[ August 16, 2007, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]