How do you outfit your infantry?

Just wondering how others outfit their infantry. When I'm in charge of a SBCT, I usually right at the start give each squad 500-1000 5.56, a Javelin launcher and 3 rounds for it. I'm wondering if this is a mistake however.

First of all, do the troops even get benefit from the additional rounds once their ammo count shows full? Do they actually carry the extra rounds, or are they lost? Also, are they terribly burdened by the extra ammo, causing them to become tired faster? Would it be better to keep them with a light loadout so they can run faster/longer? Or is it better to give them lots of ammo so they don't have to go to the strykers to rearm?

Secondly, the Javelins. Again, there's the concern about weight. Does this slow them down, or make them too tired too fast? Additionally, I find that lots of the time the guy with the launcher will die, and then I'm kind of screwed cause apparently no one in the squad is smart enough to pick up this very expensive piece of equipment should it fall to the ground. Is it better to leave this in the stryker at the start of the mission, and bring it out only when you intend to use it, or is it best to plan ahead and give it to the squads at the start, so they're ready to use it when needed?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the subject are.

I usually try to put them in something light and colorful to bring out their eyes. Something with that I am going to kill you and damn if I won't look good doing it kind of vibe. Lots of scarves and belts but something that breathes.

Seriously though.

I don't know if extra small arms ammo adds much weight but the Javelin does. I usually only give my guys the Javelin if they will be fairly static or if I think the vehicle might die so I better get it off before it gets lost.

If my infantry is going to be assaulting a position then they just go with their standard issue as I don't want them to be bogged down with extra weight, especially as the Javelin is useless in CQB.

So far I have rarely had squads need to stock up on small arms. Usually by that time the battle is nearly over or they are so heavily engaged that withdrawing or bringing up a Stryker that close would be suicide. In any case I have yet to have a squad run out.

If I can get them to a good position I will split off an AT team and give them all the Javelins so that I still have a manuever element that isn't burdened by the extra weight.

Originally posted by Mishga:

I mostly play as the Syrians and really miss being able to top up on any equipment from IFV's.

I am sure I read it's a bug but the poor Syrian guys really are low on snacks and supplies.

I would in no way be surprised to find out that the Syrians, or any BMP-1/2 operators, carry NO spare ammo, other than what they actually carry on their person. BMP's have VERY little room inside and virtually no storage space.

A lot of 3rd world infantry carry 3-4 AK mags, and that's it. If you need more ammo, scrounge off the dead!

Without being boring, unless you have seen most 3rd world armies up close, you have no idea how utterly ill-equipped and ill-trained they are.

I am sure Steve said there would be replenishment issues to be resolved with BMP and BTR somewhere in the mists of BF.C

I also find that most QB start with the Syrians with no ammo for the AK's. 3rd world army or not I think they would have at least, like you say, 3 Magazines each or so. Unless 3 Magazines don't even register on the icon? That's using the "3" as a good average.

I only carried 4 magazines of 5.56 in my day.

Originally posted by Darkmath:

I've read from BFC that a unit with extra ammo/ or Javelin would tire faster.

That's just a theory at this point. If I feel the need to grab Javelins I grab them and split off my AT team. The AT team of 2 men is able to carry their normal combat load plus the addition 92 pounds of Javelin (CLU plus 3x tubes) and run as well as the standard infantry without tiring. Each AT member must be carrying 90 pound loads at that point.

The game info says this shouldn't work well but it does.

On the issue of the guy carrying the CLU dying, i think ive seen a squad member pick up the launcher from a dead team mate.

I had a squad on a roof during a hectic battle (they were waiting to ambush some tanks), after one launch ive gone back to the squad to hide them and noticed that the launcher guy had been hit. About 10 minutes later ive scaned back over the unit and although the original casualty was still there it seemes another guy had picked up the CLU.

My basic loadout depends on the mission. If its somewhere that I can setup a good overwatch position with Javelins out of each platoon available I will take on squad and split off an AT team, load them up with the CLU and the entire platoon's Javelins, I realize that's not realistic, but if the game will let 2 guys carry 15 Jav missiles I'm certainly going to put that to good use. The rest of the platoon gets 500 rounds of extra 5.56 each with each MG teams getting an extra 500 rounds of 7.62 as well. I do have to be careful to make sure my Jav teams don't get wiped out but with their range and accuracy they can usually stay well back of the battle and knock out vital targets without putting themselves at risk.

I hate splitting the teams, either evenly or into an AT team. I like the Assault movement, and once you've split the team you can't do that anymore. Which is kind of silly, cause when you split off an AT team I think the team is only 2 men, which leaves plenty of men for 2 more fire teams, but they all just group into 1 team that can't use the Assault movement command.

Originally posted by PrezCartman:

My basic loadout depends on the mission. If its somewhere that I can setup a good overwatch position with Javelins out of each platoon available I will take on squad and split off an AT team, load them up with the CLU and the entire platoon's Javelins

How exactly are you guys selecting your units load outs? no idea you could do this?

Originally posted by PrezCartman:

GDog,

I don't mean a specific loadout, more deciding which troops to give Javelins to and who gets extra ammo from the Strykers.

Ahhhhhh, I get it.

I just recently used "Aquire" for the first time, havn't had enough time to explore this game....a pleasant surprise around every corner with the advent of 1.03! :D