Javelin&Mortar Support

As i palyed the Game for some time now i was asking myself if that Javlin is that Deadly and Accurate as represented in this game? I havent seen a Single Shot that Missed the Target either Static or Moving.

Same Question for that Mortar and Artillerysupport.

I couldnt find anything on the Net that could answer my Question.

Javelins IRL are indeed highly accurate, but they're not infallible; I have read about and/or seen video of a number of misses in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Curiously, many more of the RL misses I have heard about were on static targets, not on AFVs or vehicles. May just be random chance affecting my very nonscientific sample, but I wonder if the strong IR spectrum signature of tanks and vehicles is actually easier for the Javelin's targetting system to lock on to, than a small building or terrain feature.

A survey of the comments about them here so far on the boards seems to indicate that BFC got them more or less right, tho. They can miss, but not often.

Cheers,

YD

In the 4th scenario of the training campaign, I had a Javelin hit like 20-30m in front of the shooter... Target (a building) was supposed to be some 200m away. Guess that guy forgot his glasses smile.gif . But then it made a very convenient crater where his platoon could hide a little later. I suspect he did it on purpose.

But I agree: its very accurate and deadly.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

However, I have had some issues with using arty on enemy soldiers on rooftops where they seem to be surviving more than I would think possible.

I'm bit suprised too. Seems that time-fuzed shells don't do as much damage (used on infantry in trenches) as i expected: few minutes of barrage on small area left about 1/3 enemy forces in fighting shape. This is mainly for 81mm mortar. Haven't used much 105mm howitzers at this point, but they seems to clear terrain well enough.

Are there covered foxholes ("roof" on top of foxhole to stop fragments and even small shells) in this game? i haven't spotted, but nowdays they are pretty much must if wanting to survive from barrage because of timed/delayed fuzes.

Airburst against the troops in trenches is lethal - never seen anyone survive it yet. But for some reason the enemies on rooftops don't go down with airbursts so easily. But with normal ammo a hit in the roof and usually there is a roof cleared of all enemies.

Zip

LOL Linuss you don't know the half of it. On the first initial mission i got very cocky and thought i had smoked all the syrian t55's. I lost all 4 of my Abrams and my 2 MSG's. I had taken the barracks compound and was pushing the remaining infantry north. For some reason i don't remember why (bad planning on my part i'm sure) I had my strykers out the south wall supressing infantry. So all my infantry were just alone with light weapons. All the sudden 2 freaking t55's come to the edge of the north wall of the compound and just start ripping my infantry to pieces it was horrid. I had 4 squads about 20 meters away behind a wall. I managed to crawl my best spotter into LOS on those tanks and called in 3 155 strikes and a couple 120mortar strikes. First 4 barrages completely missed but thank the little 5 pound 8 ounce baby jesus that the last strike hit both tanks and they went up like roman candles.

Do or Die indeed smile.gif .

I did this in the "House Cleaning" scenario. As soon as I would spot the enemy or take fire, I'd slam a Jav in them. I probably was able to take out around half of the enemy force doing this. It certainly felt like I cheated.

Also had some misses with the Javs when targeting buildings, never missed a AFV yet. But I have scored direct hits on tanks without KOing them, twice.

I took the required Javelin training course in the Army and I still have the manual at my house. They are incredibly accurate. They always hit what they're told to blow up. User error comes into play a little bit if you don't target properly. They are intensley lethal towards armor and vehicles. I don't recall ever having been trained on firing at people. But as long as it has a 1 degree temperature difference from the background, the javelin will hit it.

As far as buildings go....

I've seen a Javelin target a building in Iraq before. It will bring down walls and ceilings. Maybe the whole building, if you had enough.

We only had 2 missle rounds and one CLU(Command Launch Unit) in the whole platoon, however. Maybe different units in the midst of an armored battle would be heavier on the AT weapons, but we weren't.

PS... I love the Javelin.