Overclocking CPU solves graphical instability

Originally posted by Redwolf:

The 8600 is a low-end piece, way worse than the better 7xx0 cards for games that don't need DX10. No surprises here.

Yeah, I pretty much found that out. I bought the card almost immediately after it had come out. Big mistake.

So I not only got a crappy card, I overpaid for it, too. Worst computer hardware decision since I bought that FIC motherboard back in '98-'99.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

You forgot that you also get a lot more driver troubles on 8xx0 cards than 7xx0 cards.

Guys, it has always been like that: the low-end cards of the newer lines were always much worse than top and even medium cards in the previous line. Always. This has been going on ever since the xxxx numbers were used at NVidia. While the newer series usually has more features (in this case DX10) that is useless since it not fast enough to actually use these features.

[ April 15, 2008, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

I noticed something today that is a bit odd and is related to CPU usage.

When my Geforce control-panel "Threaded Optimization" setting is set to "Auto", I get 100% CPU usage during the game but scrolling is choppy. When I set it to "Off", scrolling is smooth but CPU usage drops to 50%.

I was quite surprised it went to 100% based on the comments in this thread. What's going on?

Cpl Steiner - do you have a multi-core CPU or maybe even a hyper-threading Pentium 4 ? If so, it would seem that Nvidia needs a bit more work on their 'thread optimization' code involving OpenGL. It possible that the compilers many developers are using just aren't doing a good job with multi-core CPUs or that the code just isn't really well setup for such multi-threaded/multi-CPU use.