ATI Radeon xpress 200

Hi!

I am trying to run the game (demo 1.02.)on an ATI Radeon integrated xpress 200.(newest drivers installed)

It has 64MB RAM so it meets the minimum requirements - correct me if I am wrong. I also have DirectX9c installed.

The game starts ok, I can give orders but it crashes if I start the turn and have issued a move order for the AFVs.

any clues?

Originally posted by Knaust1:

beware...on my ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128 Mb VRAM CMSF v1.02 has excellent graphics...but when I installed patches from v1.03 to v1.05 graphics is unsatsfactory

Same here. I run it on my laptop for travel and quick games and it has a Xpress 200M installed as well.

A little tip here: set the unit detail on a higher setting and reduce the texture detail setting. It will improve the graphics (in that the models don't jump back to basic models so often, as that is what I think you mean with 'unsatisfactory graphics'?). Performance varies highly during a scenario.

Originally posted by Yskonyn:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Knaust1:

beware...on my ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128 Mb VRAM CMSF v1.02 has excellent graphics...but when I installed patches from v1.03 to v1.05 graphics is unsatsfactory

Same here. I run it on my laptop for travel and quick games and it has a Xpress 200M installed as well.

A little tip here: set the unit detail on a higher setting and reduce the texture detail setting. It will improve the graphics (in that the models don't jump back to basic models so often, as that is what I think you mean with 'unsatisfactory graphics'?). Performance varies highly during a scenario. </font>

• 1 month later...

hey all!

I hoped for the new demo to resolve the problems and partly it did. I can play the game now (it doesn't crash anylonger at the moment i issue orders) but the performance is amazingly poor.

my system: amd athlon 64 dual core 3800+ MMX, 3DNow, 1,99 GHZ, 960 MB RAM

any suggestions?

You are running the game on a machine with integrated graphics, its not going to look or preform well. Considering that people with much higher end dedicated graphics cards have poor performance kind of makes that clear.

Are you on a notebook or a desktop? If you have a desktop with a AGP slot or a PCI-E slot, I would recommend getting a dedicated graphics card.

• 2 weeks later...

What drivers do you have loaded ? The latest are the Catalyst 8.3 (for integrated). Some people have reported problems with the 8.3 Catalyst, but not what you show in your screen capture.

It definitely looks like the driver is doing something wrong there. Do the 'grey blocks' remain in any area where troops and vehicles are at ? Do they appear anywhere else on the screen where there aren't any units ?

I'm not very familiar with the Radeon Xpress 200 series, is there a setting in the CMOS/BIOS setup for the amount of dedicated memory for video ? If not, then like Intel, they "dynamically" allocate memory depending on what a program is requesting.

What 3D settings are you using in the Catalyst Control Center ? If you haven't used that, then most will default to 'application controlled', which should mean that it off unless you enable it in the settings panel right before CMSF launches fully into a game.

In fact I use the 8.3 Catalyst; and I use the default settings.

The grey Squares disappear when I start the game. Though the whole screen is cluttered with small squares (see screenshot).

settings low quality: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/Mupid/shockforcelow.jpg

settings better quality: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/Mupid/shockforcebetter.jpg

Are you playing in Real-Time or WeGo mode ? Are you saying that the 'chopped-up blocks' only appear when you initially load the game and afterwards during play that they are gone or do they appear at the beginning of each turn in WeGo mode ?

Unfortunately it looks like a problem with the driver that may take awhile to get corrected by ATI/AMD. OpenGL bugs for integrated video chipsets may take a bit of a backseat to support for higher end videocards, which will definitely cause delays in getting a solution. If it isn't an issue during game play, then it looks like a situation that is livable (if somewhat annoying). What previous version of the drivers were you using ? I assume that that version didn't exhibit this 'chopped-up' appearance to the screen.

If you feel like experimenting a bit, you could adjust some of the 3D settings in the Catalyst Control Center. Mip-mapping, anti-aliasing (enabled or disabled), Catalyst A.I., etc. One or a combination of these settings might alleviate this problem, though it may cost you a bit of performance.

Thanks for Your reply!

I only tried real-time mode yet. The squares at the beginning covering the setup zone i suppose disappear after starting the game but still everything is chopped up during gameplay. (see the last two screens)

The driver version I used before was incapable of running the game in a playable mode. Lag time when selecting or releasing the units was huge. camera movement was also very choppy.

Will try to adjust the settings a little bit.

cheers

Mupid

Which previous version of the Catalyst drivers did you try, 8.1 ? Have you tried other versions with CMSF or have you only used 8.1 and 8.3 ? You may want to try a Catalyst in the 7.9 to 7.12 range to see if they behave any differently, though there is still a very good possibility of the 'graphics lag' you were seeing previously.

It looked like at some point that ATI/AMD had mostly fixed the left-click issue within CMSF, but it didn't seem to be consistent with all ATI videocards (it worked for some and not others). It's possible that that specific fix has an adverse affect on your Radeon Xpress 200 series chip. Drivers that may not have that fix might display better, but of course have problems with the cursor.