Self Shadowing Problems

This is definitely related to light conditions in the scenario. I have scenarios where everything looks perfect while in others there appear jagged shadows at certain distances.

This screenshot was taken with zoom from about 50-100m in Allah's Fist and that's about the worst that shadows get for me:

shadowfar2.jpg

this is from another scenario, same distance, different light condition:

shadowfar.jpg

EDIT: game version is 1.04,

I got a 7600GT, 163.71 WHQL drivers

Remember, the upper pic is zoomed in, so because of the normal viewing distance it's not very noticable in the game.

For sake of completeness, here is two more pictures, both from Allah's Fist:

This is from point blank range (no zoom), as you can see, there are no problems.

shadow2close.jpg

This here is the same tank from a little farther away, some 20-50m or so (zoomed in), and this is where the shadows get the noticable "saw effect".

shadowlittlefar-1.jpg

Those type of jagged shadows are not isolated to just CMSF but a variety of other games have them as well. That's not a explantion, just a comment.

Having said that, when we can, we will always try to improve the look (and sound) of the game, but for the moment we are still concentrating on the biggest gameplay issues and since shadows are still basically a cosemetic thing (but yes, they are cool) it's a lower priority issue compared to others.

Madmatt