PBEM does not work?!

Hi everybody,

yesterday I tried to initiate a PBEM game. But it seems to me that this feature is bugged. After selecting a scenario or a quick battle CMSF asks for a password (sometimes) and a filename for saving the game. After that I am back in the main menu without having the possibility to make my move!?! If you watch carefully you can notice the loading gauge going very fast to 100% before CSMF asks for the filename.

When I look in the outgoing email folder of CMSF there is a very small file (about 500b) with the name I had given. When I try to open this file (after copying it into the incoming folder) CMSF opens the file and prompts for a new filename and exits to the main menu. Same happens with a friend's file.

So, am I doing something wrong or is it a bug???

I use Vista Ultimate and the CD Version from CMSF, both in German language. CMSF (version 1.01a) is started in WinXP SP2 compatibility mode with deactivated desktop theme and administrative rights.

My system is a Pentium D 960 and an Nvidia 8800 GTS and 3GB RAM. The rest of the game (except TCP/IP mutliplayer which I haven't tested yet) seems to work fine (beside the known bugs ;) ).

Any suggestions?

Greetings from good old Germany,

Huechtex

EDIT: just saw that my friend has also posted a topic with my problem ( look here ), if you (the admins) like, you may join both topics into one.

[ August 01, 2007, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Huechtex ]

It's the normal behaviour.

PBEM work like this :

1- Player 1 choose the scenario and it's password. Save the file and send it to player 2

2- Player 2 copy the file in the "ingoing mail" and open it with the "savegame" menu. He choose it's password then save the file and it to player 1

3- Player 1 copy the file blablablabla. Then you deploy your troups and give the first orders. Send the mail to Player 2

4- Player 2 do the same.

5- You see the video of turn 1 and then give your next orders

6- Player 2 see the same video and then give it's orders

7- Video turn 2, and next orders

8- .....

All is explained in the manual.

I played a lot of PBEM, so I can tell it's working fine smile.gif

Juste some bugs sometimes.

[ August 02, 2007, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: MirabelleBenou ]

Thanks MirabelleBenou,

Hm I thought I read the manual carefully but it seems I oversaw something. I will try again when I am back at home.

Thank you again! It seems that it is as most of the time that the problem sits in front of the computer ;)...

Bye, Huechtex

The way PBEM has worked for me this way using a pre-made scenario:

1. Player 1 picks particulars and password, sends to P2.

2. P2 assigns password, send back to P1.

3. P1 moves, send to p2.

4. P2 moves, calcs and send to p1.

5. P1 watches and sends to P2.

6. P2 watches, moves and the process starts all over again.

There is a bug, however, in the PBEM works. Infantry will not move out on foot the first turn.

Originally posted by MirabelleBenou:

PBEM work like this :

1- Player 1 choose the scenario and it's password. Save the file and send it to player 2

2- Player 2 copy the file in the "ingoing mail" and open it with the "savegame" menu. He choose it's password then save the file and it to player 1

3- Player 1 copy the file blablablabla. Then you deploy your troups and give the first orders. Send the mail to Player 2

4- Player 2 do the same.

5- You see the video of turn 1 and then give your next orders

6- Player 2 see the same video and then give it's orders

7- Video turn 2, and next orders

8- .....

All is explained in the manual.

I played a lot of PBEM, so I can tell it's working fine smile.gif

Juste some bugs sometimes.

What page in the maunal is this explained? I could not find it.

Hi,

correct, on page 35 is printed: "Play by Email works exactly like Single-Player Turn-based play,

except that after the player completed his commands and actions, a special save game file is generated."

So far it's sounds to me that I may have the possibility to do a turn and give orders what is not the case in the first "round" or exchange of files. So it is a bit misleading... nevertheless after the "tricky" beginning it works... So thanks for the advices.

Bye Huechtex

Originally posted by MirabelleBenou:

PBEM work like this :

Do we HAVE to assign passwords?