Shift and control keys will freeze input

When I press and hold the Shift or Ctrl keys, the game will temporarily stop accepting anymore input (mouse or keyboard). However, the units continue to move and fight. This happens when doing shift+mouse to select multiple units, ctrl + mousewheel, etc. This will even happen if I just hold down the shift or ctrl key in isolation.

After a little experimenting, I have determined that the severity of the problem is linked to the repeat rate I have set in the Keyboard Properties from the Windows control panel. The lower the repeat rate, the less severe the problem. At the highest repeat setting, my computer will start beeping repeatedly (not from the soundcard, but from the computer speaker).

1. Version: Battlefront 1.01

2. Processor: AMD 64 3000+

3. Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS driver: 6.14.0011.6218

4. Computer memory: 1 gig

5. Operating System: Windows XP

6. Keyboard: Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard

It isn't just shift-ctrl. Pressing keys on keyboard for me many times freezes the input for like 2-3 seconds. Especially trying to change angle of view (arrow keys) they get stuck and angle camera keeps rotating.

Also when unit is selected and you press ctrl+leftmouse to jump to point on the map it freezes for 2-3 sec. But if no unit is selected than ctrl+leftmouse works instantly.

Something seems to be wrong in general with the way key inputs are processed by the game. For example, I can hardly record screenshots with FRAPS, a program I've used to take screenshots in dozens of games for several years without problems. When I press the key to record a FRAPS screenshot, I only get a screeny with something like every 10th try. Strange.

Also, ALT-Tabbing is VERY difficult, always requiring several key presses until it finally works.

1. Battlefront 1.01

2. Processor: AMD 64 3500+

3. ATI Radeon X800XL 6.14.0010.6706

4. 1 GB RAM

5. XP Pro

(5.5 NOD32 AV. Already tried disabling)

6. Problem same as described above. Using camera (wasd) keys "sticks" for a couple of seconds and cannot take input. Makes camera go in direction of first pressed key. Game seems to work fine otherwise.

*Important note*

Game worked fine until i updated to latest ati graphics drivers (7.7 July 19, 2007).

Yes on release game worked just like it should. No keystick. But i downloaded the latest graphics card drivers from ati.com just in case it would crank out some additional FPS. These drivers broke the game.

I dont know which version my former drivers were. Probably 4-6 month old.

Tried disabling various functions under dxdiag and under desktop/settings/advanced but to no avail.

ok, was trying to figure out the problem as I cant play the game with thoses freeze.

Im using a Logitech keyboard and mouse with latest drivers.

when in game every keystroke freeze the game for a ammount of time dependant to the time I stay press on the keyboard.

Also when I save a game there is a delay between the keystroke and the actual writing on screen.

ALso when Im using key to move camera there is a delay when I press key then there is another delay when I stoppped pressing the key and it stops moving in game.

I tried both shift and both didnt work.

I tried to tweak the repetition process in the keyboard conf panel to no avail.

Please fix this issue as it's a real bugger, other than that the game just plays fine and seems so great !

[ July 28, 2007, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Aloko Mac ]

Originally posted by serval:

1. Battlefront 1.01

2. Processor: AMD 64 3500+

3. ATI Radeon X800XL 6.14.0010.6706

4. 1 GB RAM

5. XP Pro

(5.5 NOD32 AV. Already tried disabling)

6. Problem same as described above. Using camera (wasd) keys "sticks" for a couple of seconds and cannot take input. Makes camera go in direction of first pressed key. Game seems to work fine otherwise.

*Important note*

Game worked fine until i updated to latest ati graphics drivers (7.7 July 19, 2007).

Yes on release game worked just like it should. No keystick. But i downloaded the latest graphics card drivers from ati.com just in case it would crank out some additional FPS. These drivers broke the game.

I dont know which version my former drivers were. Probably 4-6 month old.

Tried disabling various functions under dxdiag and under desktop/settings/advanced but to no avail.

Ok deinstalled the current graphics drivers and installed older version instead. Problem solved. No hassle since im done playing Oblivion and Black Shark aint on the horizon yet smile.gif

Drivers that worked for me

Catalyst 6.12 8.321 December 13, 2006

Main Driver 6.14.0010.6601

Havent had time checking a more recent driver and i probably wont for some time now since it seems to work.

Originally posted by serval:

*Important note*

Good catch. I rolled back to the 6.14.10.9371 Nvidia drivers from 10/22/2006 and this problem is mostly solved. However, shift selecting will still cause me some freezing if I hold it down for more than a couple of seconds.

*Edited to change ATI to Nvidia

[ July 28, 2007, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: UrbanCoyote ]

Something is really strange about how this game uses keyboard commands, for one thing, the programmable buttons on my mouse do nothing when set to keyboard commands, but work fine if I set them to mouse commands (left or right click)

It's almost as if when you press "shift" in CMSF, it doesn't actually register as "shift" to the game, somehow the inputs are changed, thus causing the odd pausing issues.

Im also getting a little flash from my keyboard similar to when I press caps lock, yet this is when im pressing shift (the microsoft keyboard software pops up a little message in the bottom right of the screen when you hit capslock or numlock. The message does'nt always show properly in game and sometimes it just flashes for a second and you cant really read what it says.)

I use Nvidia drivers so it is not just a ATI thing. I also noticed the problem with mouse buttons mapped to keyboard buttons. They very rarely work (but sometimes they do). I think this is because they are not repeating. Also I think that the keyboards repeating causes the other problem (the game UI sticks).

Something is wrong with key input.

Just a bump to this problem. Upon further playing ive found other keys occasionally cause freeze ups as well.

But the shift button not working properly at all is somewhat of a game breaker as far as unit selection, and the delay and general sticky nature of the movement keys make camera movement a pain.