Battle soon to be released

I have a historical battle nearing completion I will post very soon. I may use it as part of a campaign as well.

Saar River Valley March 1945. The 6th SS (Gebirgs) just out of refit are tasked to cover the last defensive line in France.

This is a meeting engagement, as a mechanized infantry recon force from the 3rd armored race a fully supported mountain regiment for the high ground objective. The objective is not so straight forward as it seems

I also tweaked the ray tracing and dynamic lighting to highlight slopes and dead ground shadows.

EDIT: Now available at CMMods or the Badongo link below

Blunted Spear single battle LINK

missionxs5.jpg

[ December 20, 2007, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]

A Historical design note. the 6th Gebirgs had a very unremarkable track record. And were forced to fight a tactical retreat from the Finns into Norway during the Lapland war. From there they made it back to Germany, had a short refit period where they outfitted with STG 44, MG 42 and PanzerFaust 60 and 100.

I customized the weapons in the squads to reflect this. You will notice below a staff squad, modelled after a Stossetrupp. Yes that is an MG42 not 34 in the squad. Plus heavy AT weapons STG 44, officer sniper (major Konig ;) . The Pea Caps fit into the Gebirg genre too.

This engagement starts as a light company level battle requiring some micro management. But soon grows to a regimental level slug fest at long and short ranges.

stosswc1.jpg

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

Looks very good! But know what's missing for me? I want to see some real woods, not only patches of tress and single ones... is that actually possible? I think it would make the maps more realistic, especially this one..

The map editor can add trees OK. But it would look like the tanzmanian devil having vehicles smashing down a forest. I'd like to do a Hurtgeon forest scenario. Not sure if the map editor can restrict vehicle movement to roads tho

Oh and this scenario is now available at the link below or CMMods.

Link to Operation Blunted spear.

[ December 20, 2007, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]

Nikki, you wrote in the briefing.mat "phase_2.tga" or something but it should be "briefing.tga" and also the missionname include space (Bunted_ Spears), thats why the map cant show up.

I changed both and it works now, later i'll play the mission smile.gif .

OK I uploaded a corrected zip to all links and CMods, briefing map shows Now.

Argh! I must of looked at that mission text and folder 100 times and didn't see the space beside the under_ score. All fixed. Thanks

[ December 20, 2007, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Nikki Mond ]