Bug in Battle Generator

Thx for the new patch.

But...sorry for this...is this a bug?

When I was using the battle generator, I selected some units, but could not progress from the unit selection screen, it was saying in RED SOME UNITS ARE NOT DEFINED.

It turns out it was the Fortification I had selected for the one of the sides...but you cannot specify a name for the fortifcation...there is nothing in the drop down list...so it appears you cannot use fortifications in the drop down list.

Is this a bug?

And again, sorry for the early "whinge" and thx for the patch.

Well, I'm not at home at present, but I do not get ANY drop down entries in the fortifications list as I stated above.

I was creating an Ardennes battle and it was US and German troops and regardless of which side I choose, if I had a fortification in their list, I was unable to assign a name, and therefore not continue.

Also, I'm 100% certain that there were no items "auto added" and if they were they were removed...meaning all the units showing in the list had a name and a number assigned them.

Maybe fortifications isn't allowed on that map...but then perhaps it would've been better to leave off the fortifications from the list if that was the case....if not, then all I can say is in this particular instance, if I add a fortification to the scenario, then I cannot progress because there are no names to allocated to the fortification (unlike Scribas pic, which shows he DOES have names in the drop down).

Right, I'm sorry if this sounds a little curt, but that's the second response to my post where my post appears to have been ignored. I have already pointed out that I could not assign a fortification to the German side either.

And why in gods name are fortifications only allowed for Germans and Russians?

My guess... and this is a guess, would be that since the American and British armies were historically on the attack in mainland Europe, their front line never really contained permanent fortifications such as concrete pillboxes... at least not in the battles depicted in TOW and as the QB generator is probably using info available to it from the missions already created, it does not allow for the creation of a 'what if' scenario because it is outside the parameters of what it knows... software is stupid... it can only do what is has been programmed to do.

ANyways... like a said, just a guess.

Not really a point worth arguing over though

Well I agree that's probably the case, but a little sad that it was limited as such...there doesn't really seem to be a valid reason for it...unless it was a limitation in the engine.

It just so happens, the first mission I wanted to generate was an Ardennes mission, and the US were on the defensive, so I wanted to throw some defensive structures down.

And if they can't be used, they shouldn't be in the list. It's quite a basic thing to do as a programmer. The list should be able to be populated and repopulated on the fly...therefore if a user selects a force where defensive structures are not allowed, they are removed from the list.

It would've saved my time and other peoples who have posted a response because if what you say is the case, then it isn't actually a bug.

Originally posted by Billy Riley:

Well I agree that's probably the case, but a little sad that it was limited as such...there doesn't really seem to be a valid reason for it...unless it was a limitation in the engine.

It just so happens, the first mission I wanted to generate was an Ardennes mission, and the US were on the defensive, so I wanted to throw some defensive structures down.

And if they can't be used, they shouldn't be in the list. It's quite a basic thing to do as a programmer. The list should be able to be populated and repopulated on the fly...therefore if a user selects a force where defensive structures are not allowed, they are removed from the list.

It would've saved my time and other peoples who have posted a response because if what you say is the case, then it isn't actually a bug.

US and other Allies' fortifications in Italy and France would've been so-called "hasty." Mostly individual fox holes for a couple riflemen or larger ones for crew-served weapons perhaps. I say that without yet having looked at the BG's fortifications possibilities. If the game doesn't provide those (as CM does) its too bad.