transfering files to new computer

Checked back two months and haven't seen this question, so here it is:

What's the easiest (cheapest?) way to move my bmp file from the old computer to the new? Old one has an NIC that hooks up to a cable modem at present, new one will come with NIC installed too.

I'd rather not buy a zipdrive for this one-time use. My mods and wavs are almost totally updated from the original and I want them the way they are if possible. Should be easy, but...?

Shoeman

If the old machine has a CD burner you could burn the directory to a CD and paste it into the new machine. Since both are network ready you can use a router, especially if you are going to have both computer share the cable modem, then just transfer the directory by enabling file sharing. Or, if you don't want/need a router you could get a null modem cable that lets you connect the two machines together without a router or hub.

The hard drive way is the quickest way, if there is alot of data involved (more than 2 GB).

If you are going to keep both computers and want to share the internet conneciton, getting one of those LinkSys DSL Router/Firewalls is a great idea and you can transfer the stuff over a LAN.

Failing either of those methods, you can buy what is known as a crossover cable, which will allow you to directly connect 2 computers without use of a hub.

WWB

Thanks for the replies.

No burner on the old machine so can't go that route. May do a LAN at some time in the future, rather not start off with that though. So the direct cable connection looks like my best option.

What has to be set so the one computer knows where the other one is?

Shoeman

mccobler,

If ya got a Micro$oft OS then,

Go here for a primer on peer to peer networking, IMHO tho just taking the HDD out of the old machine and making it a slave, then transfering it that way is easier and faster than going out and buying a cross-over cable, resetting networking components on each machine, rebooting, doing it all over again cause you forgot to change the workgroup or something.