Mission Editor gives “Wrong Game Version”

Installing the game was no problem (just like the demo)

Playing it, no problems! But the Mission Editor gives a Application Error......

I got always this error:

“Wrong game version

The application will not work with the current version of Theatr Of War”

Anybody knows what this mean?

My comp. Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz & 4 Gig Ram.

Os X and XP

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

War Raven.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing you can try (for people who have this problem only) immediately is to change your DEP settings. I am not sure if this is going to fix it but it might be worth a try. It worked for at least one person.

In order to open your DEP settings, go to:

My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Performance Settings->Data Execution Prevention tab

Verify that "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is selected. If it is not, select that option and click "APPLY" and then try and run the game.

If this doesn't help, select the other option "turn on DEP for all windows programs and services EXCEPT those I select", and add the following files to the exception list:

(from the game installation directory)

tow.exe

editor.exe (from the MissionEditor folder)

towsetup.exe

(from the windows directory)

runservice.exe

(from the windows/system32 folder)

rundll32.exe

Hit OK to accept the changes. It may ask you to reboot.

If this doesn't help, feel free to set back the DEP settings to what they were previously.

Martin

Martin,

I too have the same problem and tried what you just posted and it still didn't work. I sent my computer specs to the eLicense support email that was sent to me about the problem.

JohnO

Funny enough, reinstalling helped one person (but without a new download, just reinstalling the same file). Don't ask me why. It might be worth trying to set all the DEP exceptions and then reinstall if you really want to invest some effort into this. We're still looking for a simple fix.

Martin

Has the Off-line License something to do with the Mission Editor?

Because of this:

Originally posted by Madmatt:

snip/

Click the Get Off-line License button.

On the next screen, use your mouse and highlight everything in the white panel. From the very top where it says, "INSTRUCTIONS FOR GETTING AN OFF-LINE LICENSE" all the way down to the bottom where it says "-----END LICENSE REQUEST-----"

Now with all of that text highlighted (make sure you get that all of that top line, its easy to mis the first few letters!, right click with your mouse and select "Copy".

/snip

I copy&paste it from under the line:

Product: Theatre of War 1.2.0.44

etc.....

An other strange thing is the version above “1.2.0.44”

Starting the game it shows version “1.2.0.46“

:confused:

Just checking all the options to solve this.

Regards,

War Raven.

Originally posted by Moon:

If the problem from the subject line is what you're getting, you may want to try this. It's a procedure to shut down DEP (data execution prevention) completely, from Microsoft support pages. This is for SP2 only.

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under the Startup and Recovery field.

3. In the System startup field, click Edit. The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.

4. In Notepad, click Find on the Edit menu.

5. In the Find what box, type /noexecute, and then click Find Next.

6. In the Find dialog box, click Cancel.

7. Replace policy_level with AlwaysOff.

WARNING Make sure that you enter the text accurately. The Boot.ini file switch should now read:

/noexecute=AlwaysOff

8. In Notepad, click Save on the File menu.

9. Click OK two times.

10. Restart the computer.

If you do NOT have any entry for /noexcute= then it's probably not supported on your end, so you don't need to do anything.

It's important to reboot after you do this. Now DEP should be completely shut down (in theory), and if it's a DEP error you're getting, it should not appear. We have tested this here and it works, but I recall that this same approach didn't work for some Media Center users in the past.

If you don't get any improvements, feel free to switch the setting back to what it was (probably /noexecute=OptIn)

Martin

Martin,

I tried it

No go here....

Again a big thank you for trying to help us/me

Regards,

War Raven.

WarRaven, if you want to try something else, do the same thing but uninstall and reinstall the game (with DEP shut down). I'm kind of grbbing straws here though while the main IT guys are working on it, so do this only if you don't mind the hassle. We'll have a fix not requiring this stuff before long.

Martin

Same problem here and I have tried all the possible fixes mentioned.

I am running an AMD FX-53 64bit process with WIN XP64 PR0, 2 Gigs ram, and ATI X1600 Pro with 512M of video ram. Demo ran great, (occasionally a unit would disappear for a while) and game runs fine, just the editor says wrong version of TOW

Hi All,

I am installing TOW now on my second computer to see if there is a difference.

Hehe. So on one computer the game runs but not the editor. On my other computer the editor runs but not the game. The game just will not launch at all. The screen flickers and I see the TOW mouse tooltip briefly and then it returns to desktop. I had no problem running the demo on this computer. Very odd. And yes I unlicensed, uninstalled and did it all again. Hehe.

In time answers to all problems.

Regards John

Hi MA,

The system that runs the mission editor is: WinXp, P4 2.8, 512 RAM, ATI mobility 9000 IGP. Won't run the game at all.

The system that runs the game is Win2000, AMD 3500, 1G ram, and Nvidia GForce 6600. Runs the game beautifully but not the editor. Heheh.

Regards John