For those with Dual/Quad Core Processors

We have found that for most people with Quad or Dual core CPU's you will get MUCH better framerate and performance if you select the "Use only one CPU" option thats available in the games OPTIONS panel.

It also seemed to help with Multiplayer stability in the full version, just so you know!

Madmatt

Holy Crap! That isn't just "much better performance"!

Without checking the "Use only one CPU" it's like trying to run it on a PII or something :-P Any reason why that isn't on by default? ('cause I was getting ready to ask some questions about performance)

[ April 18, 2007, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

I'm running Vista with the Security settings diabled. I have a 2.8 ghz processer, 2 gig ram and an ATI 1900 XTX. The demo will not even start for me. I click the program icon and the spinner starts up then goes away and nothing happens. I've tried rebooting but still no luck.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it won't even start?

Thanks,

Robert

Originally posted by UTexGrad:

I'm running Vista with the Security settings diabled. I have a 2.8 ghz processer, 2 gig ram and an ATI 1900 XTX. The demo will not even start for me. I click the program icon and the spinner starts up then goes away and nothing happens. I've tried rebooting but still no luck.

Thanks,

Robert

Check the resolution level in TOW setup, the resolution set was 1600 by something, my monitor did not support it.

Changed the resolution and is working fine on vista now.

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by UTexGrad:

Thanks,

Robert

Check the resolution level in TOW setup, the resolution set was 1600 by something, my monitor did not support it.

Changed the resolution and is working fine on vista now. </font>

What about AMD 64 dual core serie ?

If you look at the topic about speed problem you'll see that all the folks who have posted run with AMD 64 and all of them simply can't play TOW at a normal speed...even running on one core.

Originally posted by Moon:

Panzerdude, the game is optimized for the newest multicore hardware. The option is only needed if you do not have the newer Core2Duo and helps avoid problems with Hyperthreading.

Martin

Hate to beat a dying horse here, but just for clarification (more examples on the board should answer more questions, yes?) I have a new Delll XPS 710 with the Core 2Duo Extreme QX6700 proc Quad-core. I can leave the setting for multiple cores on in the config. Correct?

I am a littel mad...

I run a 8800gts 640mb

2g ram,but on a athlonx2 3.8

And the game runs like...well...BAD

Kinda strange when u can play games like supream commander with all vidio options maxed out and dont even suffer a littel slowdown...

i have all the latested drivers

Amd updates and nvidia...

I tink this is really sad, i whould like to say that games of today are mostly ****...so when games like this comes along u get uer hope up and...then BAM u cant play them...

I really really hope a patch that fixes this problem for all of us that sit whit dualcores from amd comes out quick.

Hi all:0

Serious issues with Dual core proc.I have tried turning one proc off,that gives me a frame rate of 8-10 fps,this is unplayable?.

If i can obtain 50 FPS on ARMED ASSAULT with settings maxed out @ 8x anti alaising & 16 x antistropic,theres got to be something wrong with the coding,i also get 60-80 FPS playing battlefeild 2 at max settings,and i have to say the graphics in theatre of war are no way more intense than these FPS's.

My pc apecs are as follows

AMD AM2 64 4200+ Dual core

ASUS SLI mobo

Nvidia 7900GS 512M PCI-E

2 gig DDR2 800mhz ram / Giel gaming memory (fast latency)

500W Thermaltake PSU

Other bugs ive encountered,grass textures dont show,cheqered pattern all over map,sounds constantantly repeating themselves over and over must be stuck in somekind of loop.

After reading your forum about dual cores probs,you have to addmit this problem is pretty common in TOW.

I didnt spend 600 uk pounds on a system to disable one core,thats not a workaround or a fix,its a pretty big bug.

Id you would like to see this happening il be glad to fraps it for you then stick it on YOUTUBE.

The pc is used as a pure gaming machine,thats why i went dual core,there is nothing wrong with my pc or my drivers...its TOF thats causing this?????

If i can run R6 vegas AND record fraps at the same time and obtain frame rates in eccess off 40 fps (i lost 30 fps to fraps whilst playing and recording at the same time)i dont see any probs with my setup

My pc in action-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJVqk8R2dWY

I really do hope you sort this problem out,like i say its unplayable the way it is,and im definatle not going to disable one core,i mean i dont have to do this for any other game?...TOF shouldnt be any differant!

mumbles:)

As MOON (admin)states in this thread

"The program IS optomized for dual/quad core cpu's"

REALLY?,so can you tell me when i run the configeration utility it automatically disables 1 core?,ITS A DUEL CORE PC FOR HEAVENS SAKE!

This tells me it cant tell the diferance between dual/quad core pc's,if this isnt the case then why doesnt it use 2 cores??

Why are peaople being advised to disable 1 core when MOON clearly states TOW IS optomised for dual cores

Why even have a option in the options to disable 1 core?,ive never seen this option in any game so why put it there?

this is like trying to run something on a 486 with a 4 meg S3verge graphics chip-it aint looking good atm.

Until this problem is OFFICIALLY ADDRESSED AND SORTED-its a waste of time downloading the demo...if you have a dual/quad core pc.

10 frames a second PFFFFFFFFF

no success here. its unplayable. made a few tests:

amd dualcore 4600+, 2gb ram, nv7900gt, amd dc patch installed, aa off, af off.

1280/1024 (native tft):

min settings = ~ 12-15 fps

max settings = ~ 1-3 fps

turning on aa=4, af=16 ... frames dont drop, they keep the same ?!

1024/780: frames increase by ~ 3 fps.

this is all testet witch 1 core. play on 2 cores dropes the fps by ~ 5 fps.

it feels like the game is running in openGL and not directX.

all my other games run fine (coh, supcom, arma ...)

so i think, there is a programmin bug in this game.

Just for feedback, I have a AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ Dual Core Processor, the demo ran fine without me having to check the box to disable one of the cores, however the full game didn't! It was practically unplayable, very, very jerky and horrible to watch like that. I exited the game and checked the box to disable one core and the difference was amazing, the same mission now runs beautifully and it has quite a lot of units in it. I might add I also have the Dual Core Optimizer in use and the other application we were advised to use in the sticky in this forum.

You might want to try getting rid of the dual-core optimizer. There have been complaints about it on the AMD forums concerning poor game performance and stutters. I've got an AMD dual-core system myself and no optimizer installed and I'm running the game fine.

Originally posted by savoldi:

You might want to try getting rid of the dual-core optimizer. There have been complaints about it on the AMD forums concerning poor game performance and stutters. I've got an AMD dual-core system myself and no optimizer installed and I'm running the game fine.

I'm quite happy with the way the game is running now, super smooth and having lots of fun with it.

I'm not certain, but I think the driver update the other poster is referring to may be the one that BF advised us to install along with the Dual Core Optimizer.

Originally posted by savoldi:

Athkatla, can you run it using both cores now after you updated?

Don't know, haven't tried it, I'll give it a try later.

Edit: Well I tried a Battle and a few minutes of a Campaign, and it runs just as well with both cores selected as it did with one. If this changes in the future I will post it here.

[ April 20, 2007, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: athkatla ]