Newbie help plz.

Hey guys. First let me say, what a great game!! I am a long time wargamer, and have finally gotten around to purchasing CMBO after getting burnt out on Uncommon Valor, Operational Art of War, and many, many other great games.

Now to my questions. In the manual that came with the game it mentions "Smoke Dischargers". I have yet to have those on any of my vehicles (as far as I know), I do however have smoke mortars.

What vehicles do they come on?

How do I use them? Is it automatic?

Is it possible, for me to activate it and create a full-fledged smoke screen that follows behind my vehicle and can quickly create a large wall of smoke?

I have seen Enemy Shermans, engage my Panzers and after taking a shot back up and immediately a cloud of smoke was in my LOS. How did this happen? And how can I replicate it?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I will have many more questions. :confused:

Look in the ammo box at the bottom left of your screen when you have selected a unit. If you have smoke rounds, the number will appear followed by an "s". You can order that these be fired at a particular location by way of the pull down menu or by pushing hotkey "K". However, the tac-AI can also fire them (as it can other types of ammo). When Shermans, especially 75mm Shermans, spot Tigers or Panthers, you can expect the tac-AI operating the Shermans to start a smoke screen.

Originally posted by jagcommander:

Look in the ammo box at the bottom left of your screen when you have selected a unit. If you have smoke rounds, the number will appear followed by an "s". You can order that these be fired at a particular location by way of the pull down menu or by pushing hotkey "K". However, the tac-AI can also fire them (as it can other types of ammo). When Shermans, especially 75mm Shermans, spot Tigers or Panthers, you can expect the tac-AI operating the Shermans to start a smoke screen.

An interesting thing I've seen about the AI shooting a smoke screen to block the LOS of a tank, is that I've seen AFVs do it when the ammo box says they don't have any smoke remaining.

Press enter to see the vehicle details. It will tell you if it has smoke mortar, smoke discharger or the nahvertie...whatever.

The smoke discharger may be used even if the vehicle ran out of smoke ammo for its main gun (or even if it is incapable of firing smoke ammo), but it is TacAI-controlled.

I find that smoke from AFV's is one of the most annoying things about CMBO, ok its a small thing but it caused me to get absolutely smashed in a PBEM once so it annoys me.

When you target an area and tell an AFV to smoke it but there is infantry with no AT ability 500 meteres away the AFV will ignore its smoke order within 5 seconds of the start of the turn and target the infantry instead.

Does anyone else find this?

In answer to the question it is not possible to create a smoke cloud that will trail behind your afv.

A vehicle with smoke dischargers is able of using them for self defense when it considers the situation to require it. For instance, when your Sherman meets a Tiger, it will probably try to reverse out of sight, meanwhile dropping smoke to cover the retreat. It is automatic and cannot be forced.

It's worth knowing the difference between a smoke discharger and a smoke mortar.

The Mortar drops smoke a short distance in front of the tank, whereas the screen from the discharger is centred on the tank.

PzIII based vehicles (PzIII, all varients and Stug IIIs) have smoke dischargers.

All defensive smoke is controlled by the TacAI.

Use of smoke shells can be player controlled.

Originally posted by melb_will:

I find that smoke from AFV's is one of the most annoying things about CMBO, ok its a small thing but it caused me to get absolutely smashed in a PBEM once so it annoys me.

When you target an area and tell an AFV to smoke it but there is infantry with no AT ability 500 meteres away the AFV will ignore its smoke order within 5 seconds of the start of the turn and target the infantry instead.

Does anyone else find this?

If given an area target, the TacAI tends to switch to obvious targets. Try buttoning the tank so it won't be aware of the enemy presence, or rotating a bit, so it doesn't face the enemy infantry.