Trivia??

K9crump

If you are speaking of the general class of weapon, as opposed to a specific gun (i.e. the Stug III), the Russians used the acronym SAU (САУ in russian letters). It stood for "Самоходные артиллерийские установки" which literally means "self-propelled artillery pieces."

Oh, I think you are refering to the 76.2mm that they used to call the ratchboom (sic) That same gun was on the SU-76. I am really looking forward to someone knowing the anwser to my riddle, because.... I cant remember myself. It has been bothering me for awhile and I cant find the anwser any where.

Mike

-The Germans used to call the Sherman Tanks of the Allies "Ronsons" or "Tommy Cookers"

-the British, who called the German V1 Rocket, "The Buzz Bomb"

-Krupp K5 railway german gun = Anzio Annie

-Nebelwerfer 41 - 15cm RocketLauncher "Screaming Meamies"

-German 88mm Antitank/Antiair gun: crash bang (first you heard the explosion of the shell, then you heard the gun that fired)

- The American M7 SP artillery tank was nicknamed by the British "Priest" because it's commander's position resembled a pulpit.

-The MG 42. Germans themselves called it Knochen- or Hitlersäge (Bone / Hitler saw), Hitlersense (Hitler´s sickle), Geige (violin)... allied nicknames include Spandau, Hitlers buzzsaw, Linoleum ripper, zipper etc....

-"Stalinorgel" (Stalin´s organ): german nickname for soviet katyusha rocket launchers.

-"Ratschbumm" : nickname for a soviet cannon, actually a "phonetic" transcript of the firing.

-"Panzeranklopfgerät" : "armor-(door-)knocking device: german PaK 37.

- 'Grease gun' was the US M3

but nothing about stug3...

Tofke

Beer killer

Originally posted by Tofke:

-The Germans used to call the Sherman Tanks of the Allies "Ronsons" or "Tommy Cookers"

Beer killer

Yes, this one is funny, there was a lighter brand with that name that was famous for always fire at first try even whith wind. The Shermans also usually catch fire with the first hit. Spooky. :D

From an article I read from a Soviet tanker, every assault gun was an Elephant. The translator had to actually put in a note that the tanker meant a StuG. Might have been on the russian battlefield site.

Rune

I think your on the right track Rune, what was the Russian word for Elephant? I remember reading about this in a book or on the net, and cant remember what they called them. I do know it was a russian word. They had much respect and fear the Stug's and it was mentioned a slang that they called them.

Mike

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tofke:

Beer killer

Yes, this one is funny, there was a lighter brand with that name that was famous for always fire at first try even whith wind. The Shermans also usually catch fire with the first hit. Spooky. :D </font>

Right on wokelly,

The world only seems to remember the early days of the Sherman, which, like any country new to making tanks, had it's problems. The mid to later model Shermans were outstanding tanks, especially when they were used as they were supposed to be used.

Hey, I thought we were trying to figure out what the Russians called(slang) for the Stug??? LOL... I think it starts with the letter T, I seen it once when I was reading. Thought it was in one of my Stug books... but, no. It seems like I cant get an answer from anyone. Anyone here from the Russian Forum? Maybe you can ask around and report back here.

Mike