Trivia??

K9crump

Okay, I spent a little time over at the Russian TOW site. There are some links there to historical reference materials in Russian, which eventually led me to an academic article on the history of the Stug III. This may not be what you are looking for, but it mentioned that a large number of these guns were captured by the Soviets at the end of the war, and that "until the early 1990s, they were referred to by the name "Artshturm" (Артштурм in Cyrillic). Apparantly, the term originated from an incorrect translation of the German word "Sturmgeschütz."

In case someone is interested, here is a link to the article: http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/StugIII/1/stug3_1.php

I understand that, but this is the closest thing I have seen. Apparantly the term was used pretty commonly after the war.

In the course of my surfing, I did find a glossary of WWII slag on one Russian site, but no mention of the Stug there.

Thank you very much for looking. I have put the word out in some other forums. I sure wish I could remember where I read it. I looked in one of my books that is on the Stug, but no luck. Oh well, will keep looking....

Mike

(have edited this to correct errors)

The Sherman's main fire problem was unprotected ammo stowage in sponsons above the tracks.

The real reason the Sherman got such a bad reputation was that it was:

1) Attacking most of the time, which requires a tank to expose itself to enemy fire.

2) The opposition, whether it was German tanks or AT Guns, fired shells which were capable of penetrating the standard Sherman's frontal armour relatively easily.

When the German Tanks were forced to attack, and thus expose themselves more often to fire, as during the Mortain counterattack, or the Ardennes Offensive, they took heavy casualties too. (and those casualties were 90% from U.S. Tanks or Artillery, not Fighterbombers)

The game does not include several models of Shermans which had much heavier armour, and which were much more resistant to enemy armour piercing shells. For example, the Sherman 'Jumbo'. Often these would be placed as the lead tank in the advance, since the lead tank was usually hit first. The Shermans armed with the 105mm gun also had heavier armour.

The Sherman 'Firefly', with its high velocity 17 lber gun, was clearly a very potent Tank. The 17 lber had a penetrative power slightly better than the Panther's 75mm gun. Firefly's were normally used in the overwatch role, covering the advance of standard Shermans, and engaging any targets which fired on them.

This game should have a Firefly, there was a ratio of 1 Firefly for every 3 normal 75mm gunned Shermans in the British Tank formations.

[ May 04, 2007, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: *Buzzsaw* ]

I looked around my library a bit but could not find. A while ago I came along the name too and remember it because I laughed about it with a friend of mine.

IIRC it is the Russian word for rat - but do not ask me for the Russian translation.

I'll keep looking for it.

Uwe