Train Mission 3 - Help needed

Vladinir Schotitov

After waltzing through the first two training missions I seem to be totally incompetent at defending my 2 AT guns in Mission 3. I try hiding them behind a tree but in seconds of START BATTLE they go up in a puff of smoke. Forget the rest since they have 5 tanks and we have a dozen frightened soldiers. What should I be doing?

Originally posted by Vladinir Schotitov:

After waltzing through the first two training missions I seem to be totally incompetent at defending my 2 AT guns in Mission 3. I try hiding them behind a tree but in seconds of START BATTLE they go up in a puff of smoke. Forget the rest since they have 5 tanks and we have a dozen frightened soldiers. What should I be doing?

That mission is buged, just skip it.

This mission is hardly to be completed with such defending forces. However once I could stop all german tanks.

Thirst of all before the start you should determine the most dangerous targets - german Pz-IIIJ. So you are to concentrate fire of your 2 45-mm AT guns on it. Use APCR projectiles because they can hit armour up to 60 mm. Pz-IIIJ has front armour from 30 to 50 mm. Don't waste time in attempting to hit Pz-IIIJ with AT rifles (PTRD) - use them only against Pz-IIF and as I mentioned above try to concentrate fire of 2 PTRD-s on 1 Pz-IIF. Don't disperse your efforts. When a tank neutralized (disarmed) or destroyed change target at once for all you AT guns or rifles. If german tanks eliminate crew of AT gun, move one or two soldiers from trench to it immediately.

[ April 29, 2007, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: MaKoUr ]

The trick with this mission is to target and kill the PzIII first with the ATG's, put the ATG's at the back of the placement zone, hide your infantry then use the ATR's to kill the PzII's when they get close. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Originally posted by pad152:

The trick with this mission is to target and kill the PzIII first with the ATG's, put the ATG's at the back of the placement zone, hide your infantry then use the ATR's to kill the PzII's when they get close. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

This also relies on luck. The AT crews aren't exactly very experienced. I don't usually back down from challenges as I tried every possible trick in this training mission with 0 success before simply giving up.

It obviously was not meant to play like it does.

Hold Fire...

Disembark...

At the break of battle hold fire on everything and disembark the guns.

Let the crew eat some grass behind the guns.

Now wait for those pesty germans to get close.

Once in good distance man ur guns and start blasting rounds into the panzers.

If a crew dies let some frech recruits dash in to finish the job.

Quicksave will also help you turn it into your favor.

Good advice but a bit gamey for a tutorial, don't you think? I'd re-do the scenario with more cover and better crews for the AT guns. Having to really sweat a tutorial is counter-productive. Make it exciting but drum home the points to be made first.

IT CAN BE DONE. Listening to your advice here is how. Place the two ATs as far away as possible in the bottom right hand corner. START. Withinn half a minute or so both sets of gunners will go up in smoke BUT NOT THE atS THEMSELVES. Select two paurs of grunts from the treches and have them DASH to the ATs. They then start firing away and with no intervention from me they ñpolished off all the attacking tanks. Then the game paused and lo and behold a whole set of reinforcements appeared in the adjacent trenches and the rest was a piece of cake .I selected the whole trrop less the AT and had them tarfet each german soldier one by one - selecting the nearest first. The AT tool care of the one solitary tank. Lots of grenadiers attacking but they never got close enough to do damage.

I know there is a lot of criticism going on, nostly from one or two characters but I have to say for me it was a blast just to see these grnts in full detail and beautifully animated getting on with the job. Of course I'm sure there is a fault in that the AI assumed wrongly that the two ATs were done for but hell I'm not complaining.

Are you guys talking about the Demo version or the full game. In the demo there are three PzIIIs in the second wave. So far the best I've managed is to immobilize one.

For the first wave I usually place the AT guns close to the trenches so they can be re-crewed quickly. Use the AT guns to attack the PzIIIs and leave the PzIIs for the anti-tank rifles.