Let us talk about ToW, not CC or CM

MikoyanPT

This is Theatre of War forum, not Close Combat forum or Combat Mission forum.

There will be Combat Mission second generation and new Close Combat games. And they will be great games.

But this is ToW forum, a game many people waited for long.

I loved Combat Mission AK and BB, and i will play Shock force and others to come. But now i am really enjoying the good game that is ToW.

Of course the game has flaws, and it will be perfected, that is why patchs are made for.

The question is, ToW is different, and for me is different for the better.

It is unique in its kind, fresh air, wargames of late were limited to a kind of 2d turn based board games.

Let people find out and explore ToW on their own and stop comparing it to other games with completely diferent gameplay styles.

Let us talk about Theatre of War.

Yep, a list of goodies is in order.

The spotting model is indeed unique and grown up. I love how, collectively, say three tanks get high spotting values with regard to an enemy unit but if you click each individual tank none of them necessarily has a decent bead on the target – intriguing.

I love how a tank with shelled off tracks can donate its driver to another operational tank with a dead helmsman.

I love the after-battle experience points system and the pre-battle setup options.

The game looks totally immersive.

The realistic sounds model gives more aural information to the player than I’ve personally found in any one game. Some samples are a bit weak but are to be patched… . Magic!!

The COMMANDS DO WORK (despite comments to the contrary) – you just have to double check you have indeed set that unit to do what you thought you set it to do!! ‘Stop’, ‘Hold Position’, ‘Hold Fire’ and combinations thereof WILL prevent your units straying unless they’ve been unreasonably foisted on a beleaguered unit.

Oh, yeah – I think the game can have something like 18 individuals in an infantry squad! Excellent potential there – especially considering those individual characters are almost infinitely playable!!

Scavenging and scrounging to a deplorable degree of light-fingeredness!! Of course, if you don’t believe in that sort of thing you don’t have to make your guys rob each-other blind!! Personally, I think it’s fun, adds realism, and prolongs already awesome battles.

Arty and air-strikes are nicely done.

This reinforcement malarkey really works – once again prolonging gruelling battles, just when you thought you might have won.

Replayability – well it’s a computer game so sooner or later you will learn to defeat the AI blindfolded but in this case, it’s going to be later for many of us.

CTDs and Freezes – clearly these have been craftily added so that at the peak of a battle your computer goes numb and you have to come to this forum and tell everyone what an effing brilliant game you were having!! J

I could go on…

Truly, I was getting very jaded and sceptical about this genre but now I can give up the booze, wenches and work and have some real uncomplicated fun. :D

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

Hello fil !

Can you shed some light about 1C company future plans for ToW

Regarding

Patches

Add ons

Tow 2 ? (eheh too soon for this one.)

Thanks

Hi!

this year for Russia :

Patch (BF

may be new mission pack

New Add-on

new tools (map editor)

it is necessary to agree with BF smile.gif

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fil:

Vegeorite, thanks

Huh, are you sure you should ? Veg's comments have a somewhat hidden sarcastic tone if you reread well some of the sentences... :eek:

Or maybe that's me ? ;) </font>

OK, I have a serious question. Overall I have some issues with the game but I think a lot of these come down to mission design, but there's one thing that continues to frustrate me and other than people dying you don't get much feedback about it in the game.

Whilst we wait for a possible patch to provide feedback on LOS in-game, how about a detailed (with screenshots or diagram) outline of where your units need to be get benefits from cover, and roughly how much you get from each thing. For example, to get cover from a tree - do I need to be under the tree, behind the trunk, behind the whole tree? To get cover from a bush, do I need to be in it, behind it, etc? I tend to line my infantry up in prone position along the lines dividing fields and I've not particularly noticed troops behind bushes - does this mean that the bush graphics show an area of cover or does each bush provide cover and the bits inbetween none? Finally do all types of grass provide the same amount of cover?

Have fun

Finn

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Vegeorite, thanks

Huh, are you sure you should ? Veg's comments have a somewhat hidden sarcastic tone if you reread well some of the sentences... :eek:

Originally posted by fil:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Vegeorite, thanks

MajorPrivate, you're a scream. You call people babies, or women (whoa--what an insult--women are terrible, aren't they?). I'm looking forward to being called a poopy head or some other hyper mature graphic insult. For a refreshing change from "clever" name-calling, you might try simply stating your disagreement.

Originally posted by RuhrRiver:

MajorPrivate, you're a scream. You call people babies, or women (whoa--what an insult--women are terrible, aren't they?). I'm looking forward to being called a poopy head or some other hyper mature graphic insult. For a refreshing change from "clever" name-calling, you might try simply stating your disagreement.

Well to be fair, most of the people aren't really explaining their disagreements either, most of the unhappy posts I have seen (not all) have just comprised of "This game is crap" "This game is not CM waaah" etc.

If you don't like it, fine, but whining without constructive criticism is tiresome and really not needed.