Are my tactics all wrong?

Lightning War

Today I installed the demo and the first training mission - basic training - went well. However, I had problems with the combat tactics and defensive tactics missions.

Combat tactics: The instructions for the last two trenches were to get your tanks around the back of the enemy and take out his guns. Unfortunately the map was badly restricted and this didn't allow enough room to widely sweep the tanks around the rear of the enemy. The only way to attack the guns was, more or less, to go directly forward. Am I missing something here? Or is this a glitch?

Defensive tactics: The instructions for this mission were to use your guns and anti-tank rifles to destroy the oncoming German tanks, starting firstly by destroying the heavier tanks. Finally, the instructions said to finish off the infantry using your infantry. Okay, fine. Unfortunately there was a slight problem; Both my guns were destroyed by the German tanks in less than 30 seconds. This left only my anti-tank rifles but they were very ineffective. Soon my infantry were overrun by the German armour.

In my second try I even used soldiers from the trench to re-staff the guns but they too died very quickly. Again, I was overrun by the German armour. Again, the anti-tank rifles did very little damage.

Has anyone else been having difficulty with this, or can anyone offer any advice? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Good game btw, although my PC struggles somewhat.

combat tactics: yes the only way is basically head on, so far goes the tactics... keep your men crouching flat on the ground. otherwise they will be whiped out.

destroy the AT guns inmediately at the beginning of round, dont give move orders to the tanks untill the AT's are gone

defensive tactics: nearly impossible to win, nothing tactical about it.

something to try is to un-man the AT guns so the enemy wont shoot at them, but that is basically using a glitsh...

On Combat Tactics I would ignore the advice given. Never ever present anything but your best armour towards an anti tank position. Bait him into firing at a pawn and then let him have it.

On Defensive Tactics it looks as though the mission is bugged. Those tanks have see everything homing explosive laser beams mounted.

Defensive tactics:

I too tried it 6 times and did different ways.

My AT rifels I ran them to the left into the other trenches and was able to stop (not kill) 1 tank before they died.

I also tried to set up the AT guns in the trees but they get picked off before they kill (they never did) a tank.

I will try to unman my guns untill the enemy gets closer then man them for close kills. The question is how close will the tanks get before the spot the crews?

I tried to unman my AT guns 2 times and both times when I tell the crew to reman the AT gun it brings MG fire from the tanks and again the 5 tanks mass fire on one gan and when it is taken out they direct fire on the other AT gun. I still was not able to kill any tanks.

I would never pick that field to defend against tanks. Too flat.

Yes but things don't happen as in this walkthrough : wherever you put your guns they're killed in a matter of seconds. And no unit takes care of any order, say them "prone, hold fire" they all get up and fire at long range. And everyone get killed, trenches don't protect.

It's ridiculous, either it's not the same game, it's like if a gremlin came up and cursed the release version, or the walkthrough is just a bunch of lies. I will put the game to the bin, I'm furious with such a waste.

Originally posted by Boris Balaban:

I tried to unman my AT guns 2 times and both times when I tell the crew to reman the AT gun it brings MG fire from the tanks and again the 5 tanks mass fire on one gan and when it is taken out they direct fire on the other AT gun. I still was not able to kill any tanks.

I would never pick that field to defend against tanks. Too flat.

That unmanning/manning atg glitch sort of helps, but once the pz's know you are there manning the gun, they home in on you with laser MG fire like there's no tomorrow. You unman and they stop firing...

Apparently the AI is perfectly able to tell if an ATG is manned or not, which is weird, since most of the crew is hiding behind the shield. Living crew behind an ATG is either not possible to spot or too low a priority, but once the ATG is manned, they know where the atg is. I think the AI spotting should be eitherwise tweaked to give ATG"s more chance of at least a first shot, or give the AI priority to destroy unharmed unmanned equipment. Apparently the AI does not see any harm in an ATG with crew 2 meters behind it, but goes cyborg laser beserk on it if you are behind that shield.

Unless C1/BF didn't want the AI to destroy unmanned equipment, because everybody is apparently all hyped up about manning and unmanning equipment, so they've put destroying unmanned equipment as a no go for AI...

Maybe we should introduce healthbars anyways (is it me or do soldiers always get severely injured before they die?), if gamey concepts like manning enemy equipment are the standard nowadays?

[/rant off]

It would be nice to train us in that they could have given a hint on what to do to win and what not to do to loose.

In the defensive training they should give an idea where to place every one so we could try it and see it work then we could do somthing different and see it fail.

Combat Tactics:

If you edit the line <Territory ... in the mission.xml file you can give yourself extra room to flank. The third figure defines the width of the play area.

I've looked at the Defensive Tactics mission file and I've been able to up the skill of the AT gunners, but they still die straight away anyway. I haven't looked at the Germans too much yet.

[ April 22, 2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: teeps ]

Defensive Tactics:

by putting my two guns vitually behind two trees on the right I managed to keep one of them alive long enough to fire 24 rounds.out of it`s 30 quota. The placement was probable pure luck but the the fact that all the tanks survived makes this impossible.