Is this another Command & Conquer?

cyborg

I have to honestly say that I was very excited about the game especially knowing that some of the people who did Combat Mission series were involved in this. Also reading about the incredible detail that they put in the game.

HOWEVER, after I looked as some of the videos, I notice that the people had no emotions (no character). In Combat Mission if you perform concentrated fire on a squad, the squad will have the tendency to become “pinned” and there response time will be delayed (emotions). Or if a Stuart tank discovers an Tiger tank turning his turret toward him then the Stuart will back away and find cover in fear of being destroyed. The Stuart crew realizes that they can not penetrate the armor of the Tiger tank. This factor adds a realism, strategy, and tactics I crave for. BUT by watching some of the videos (Theatre of War) I notice that a tank fired on a gun and it killed 2 or 3 of the crew guys. One of the crew that was not killed immediately proceed to destroy the tank without any hesitation, intimidation, or emotion. It reminded me of the repulsive game Command and Conquer. Sorry, no offence to anyone but it just not my kind of arcade game.

Please someone tell me that the forces are not this way. Please tell me that this is not another Command and Conquer.

cyborg, I think that the videos give you a fals impression somehow. TOW has extensive simulation of combat morale, in fact it's tracking it at the individual soldier level, something that is rarely done in games of similar scope, and certainly not to the extent TOW does it. Wait until you see panic spread through your troops, started by some private who starts running to the back, and then infecting more and more guys nearby.

TOW's approach to individual morale however also leaves room for cowards and heroes. The latter is perhaps what you saw in some of the videos.

We spent many months with 1C to ensure that TOW is not going to be another mindless clickfest. We didn't succeed in all areas as some of the hurdles to overcome were too steep, but in most.

Martin

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

It's a laugh seeing the buggers flee for dear life.

Unless they are your buggers. :D