Gone Gold

Aries

Well if today is the 10th, and the release date is the 19th, we have at most 9 more days to wait til downloads open. [smile]

Only 9 days. augh! you're going to hate that.

only 9 days; you'd think we were talking about tomorrow and that we've only been waiting like a month or something.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

And I think I got a serious problem: it seems as if the confirmation e-mail never reached me or was classified as SPAM and therefore deleted. Moon, Madmatt, is there anything that can be done about that?

Quick my god help this man...... ;)

Originally posted by Juardis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

We are shooting for a download file just under 2 gigs in size.

Madmatt

I have to admit it's been a LOOOOOONG time since I've downloaded a game, but 2 gigs?!?! :eek: Surely you jest?! </font>

I don't get this gold thing. Does it mean the game is finished and they have this gold DVD from which all the copies will be made prior to packaging, etc, etc?

If it is, then why not let the ones with pre-orders download it? Marketing issue? Server not ready?

There will be a huge silence in this forum once the game is released! Everybody so busy playing, no time to post!

"Gold" means that we have the release code "frozen", from which all the CDs will be duplicated. As far as I know the term originates from the fact that the master CD which is used as the base for replication is usually made of gold (it needs to withstand higher tear than a regular CD to be duplicated many thousand times or something like that).

What remains now is to do all the behind the scenes stuff to get it replicated, packaged up and prepared for mail delivery, while on the other end we're preparing and testing the download servers etc. This takes more time than you can imagine, especially due to the large file size.

Martin

""Gold" means that we have the release code "frozen", from which all the CDs will be duplicated. As far as I know the term originates from the fact that the master CD which is used as the base for replication is usually made of gold (it needs to withstand higher tear than a regular CD to be duplicated many thousand times or something like that).

What remains now is to do all the behind the scenes stuff to get it replicated, packaged up and prepared for mail delivery, while on the other end we're preparing and testing the download servers etc. This takes more time than you can imagine, especially due to the large file size.

Martin"

Would you really use a CD/DVD master for duplication purposes? Wouldn't it be more straight forward, and faster to duplicate directly off the hard drive of a PC?

I thoguht that the term "gold" went back to the record industry and the days of vinal LPs. Back then, I believe there realy was a gold plated LP used as the master. However, I could be mistaken.

Originally posted by Juardis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

We are shooting for a download file just under 2 gigs in size.

Madmatt

I have to admit it's been a LOOOOOONG time since I've downloaded a game, but 2 gigs?!?! :eek: Surely you jest?! </font>

Found this info after quick google mooch..

"The term goes back to the days when recordable CDs were manufactured using gold film, leading the source CD to be called the "golden master." Unlike the music industry, it is not a reference to the number of copies sold. It will typically take several weeks for a game to ship to stores and become available to consumers after it has gone gold."

Nice to hear its gone gold tho, looking forward to the demo and a few reviews. God i hope this games lives up to the promises. Too many let downs in the games industry these days.

Steve

Originally posted by Avwriter:

""Gold" means that we have the release code "frozen", from which all the CDs will be duplicated. As far as I know the term originates from the fact that the master CD which is used as the base for replication is usually made of gold (it needs to withstand higher tear than a regular CD to be duplicated many thousand times or something like that).

Martin"

Would you really use a CD/DVD master for duplication purposes? Wouldn't it be more straight forward, and faster to duplicate directly off the hard drive of a PC?

I thoguht that the term "gold" went back to the record industry and the days of vinal LPs. Back then, I believe there realy was a gold plated LP used as the master. However, I could be mistaken.

Commercial CD duplication is done by stamping the disc, only consumer level duplication burns the disc. That's the extra physical wear and tear.

So, on a "from the store" CD there are actually pits in the CD/DVD while "from your cd burner" you get a disc with burned spots in the dye.

Avwriter, uh, we're certainly not Sony and there are not millions of pre-orders for the game, but simply burning a few discs off of a PC is not an option unless you are willing to wait for your hardcopy of the game for a couple of years ;)

Martin

Interasting. Thanks for enlightening me. Had no idea. I just figured there were faster industrial grade burners or somehting for that. Oh well, you learn something new every day.

Anyway, as long you are hanging around here, how about very quietly opening that download link for a little while? I promise we won't tell ;)