Relative to MP...Is there any kind of communications feature? (i.e."chat,etc.)

Gface

In the beginning, I will probably be most interested in single player action...if nothing else to get acclimated to the game and figure out how eveything works...but at some point I will also want to try out MP...Does the game have a chat feature for MP, or, do people prefer to use voice comms, something like teamspeak or ventrilo...in 2 vs. 2 etc, it will obviously be important to talk to your allie..

Don't know, but I'd be interested in finding out, as well. I've used both TeamSpeak and Ventrillo in the past; be nice to be able to converse with your team during MP matches. I'm not holding out much hope for built in chat, as there is no real multiplayer "lobby", I'm not sure how they would integrate chat into the game....

Heh, at this point I'm just hoping there is SOME in game chatting ability . . ie. . . hit T to type in your message.

I would think that Teamspeak and Ventrillo would work fine since neither has to be supported by the game in order to function do they? Either way, it will still be a hassle without an online lobby. :(

There is an online lobby where all the players can talk before the host launches the battle, but once your actually playing a battle, there is, sadly, no chat functionality. This is something we are going to see if 1c might be able to add at some point.

Madmatt

Originally posted by CBR:

There should be time for a few short messages during a game. If players can manage it in Total War games then it should be possible in ToW. I do hope it gets added at one point.

CBR

True. It doesn't take much time to type in things like: "GG or Thanks for the game! or Nice one!" and it adds a lot to the game.

I can't think of one RTS game in the last 10 years that did not have the ability to chat during the game. Can anyone else?

Thanks for at least requesting that it be added, MadMatt.

Originally posted by franz:

remember this game is much shorter than Combat Mission. Are you really going to have time to type out messages to each other in a real-time, 30 minute firefight ?

I dont think so.

Sure you will.

"go left, I go right"

"Sherman in overwatch"

"get arty on the trenchline"

Short messages, or some way to communicate in a MP game is pretty essential, I'd say...at least if you want to have some sort of battle plan.

While it is a remarkable oversight, I can assure you it isn't such a big a problem as you might think. Firstly, there are a plethora of voice chat programs out there and since you'll be connecting via an IP number most players should be able to set something up. And secondly, when things kick off you either type or you win, not both.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

And secondly, when things kick off you either type or you win, not both.

I respectfully disagree. A team that can organize and plan it's assault (or defense) stands a very good chance of winning.

Conversely, the lack of in-game chat tends to level the playing field, so to speak.

I say this lack of chat is going to favor the team that just sends their forces, en masse, into the enemy. While the strategic thinking teams are spreading their front, deploying reserves, etc, the clicker will just drag-select a huge group of troops and click "attack" somewhere. The other team, being unable to communicate, will not be able to coordinate a flanking maneuver, etc.