Really not good enough.

I'm a bit flumoxed by this, and feel sad my first post here has to be in regard to it.

Many years ago me and a friend bought and played CMBO. It would regularly freeze and/or crash in MP (over a LAN). We gave up on it in the end.

Sometime later CMBB came out and we figured it would be worth a go, especially as the old crashing bug would certainly have been fixed at last. It wasn't. Same old problem in MP, data would download to the client PC and freeze at the end of the loading-bar. We tried manual saves, auto-saves, sometimes they'd work, mostly they wouldn't. The amount of frustration and anger this caused was quite remarkable, but understandable considering the time and effort that went into a long game, only to be robbed of it half way through (usually when things were getting interesting).

Many years later, new hardware (more power), me and my brother thought we'd get back into it. I still had my old copy of CMBO, patched it, persuaded him to buy a digital DL from Battlefront. Played it, had a couple of good short games, then the old BS started again. Got him to buy CMBB, same BS. Exactly the same as years earlier.

Cue CMAK...surely the latest version in the series would be sweet...? Both of us bought a copy, same old routine, freezing at the end of the loading-bar, then a re-visit of another old issue, disappearing tanks in addition to the freezes. Auto-saves sometimes work, only to see the game freeze again a couple of turns later, sometimes re-rescuable, sometimes not. Always on the data loading-bar, right at the end...hear the "plunk", game frozen, Ctrl-Alt-del, host loads autosave, try again...ad-nausem. Un-playable waste of money.

You people have to have known this bug remains in the code right back from CMBO, up until CMAK, yet you're done nothing to fix it. You make no mention or warning of it on your sales page. Exact same bug from years ago when we used to play CMBO, through CMBB and still present in CMAK. Years apart, different computers, super-fast hardware, exact same bug. Absolutely useless game, no trust in it, can't be played, hours wasted, back on the shelf, money wasted.

You're not on. This kind of gig is inexcuseable. You know the bug is there, how could you not? But have you fixed it? No, you dump the game, but go on selling it to the un-suspecting while you move on to new projects.

We used to think it was our old computers...low spec, under-powered for what was at the time quite a demanding piece of code. But now?

You had a solid reputation thanks to the CM series, so long as you remained faithful to it, supported it (fixed the remaining bugs at least) and looked like you'd continually upgrade and improve it. Many of us figured you'd back-engineer CMBO and CMBB to the same level as CMAK, then bring new features, graphics, fidelity etc into all three. But you dumped them and got yourselves snarled up in what appears to be a disasterous affair with TOW and SF.

We can't play a game that more often than not corrupts it's own files so totally that it can't be finished. That's what stopped me and my friend all those years back, and that's what's stopped me and my brother now. Again. For the exact same reason. MP loading-bar, "plunk", freeze.

If you have any integrity at all you will fix this monumental years-old bug and give us the game for which we paid good money...one that can be relied upon to play a battle from start to finish, regularly, reliably and consistently. Anything less is a con.

Thanks for reading.

Hetzer21.

Absolutely useless game, no trust in it, can't be played, hours wasted, back on the shelf, money wasted.
If that were true we'd have more than just one person complaining after 7 years. I don't know what the problem is that you've experienced, but we do not know of any endemic problem like this in any of the three CMx1 games. And trust me... if it was as an open and shut case as you think it is, we would know. Gamers have a way of making themselves heard :D

Many of us figured you'd back-engineer CMBO and CMBB to the same level as CMAK, then bring new features, graphics, fidelity etc into all three.
Not sure why you thought that... we always said that each game was its own thing and that once CMAK was done the engine would never be used again. And that's still the case today. The game system is no longer being developed, save the changes that were necessary to make CMBB run with CMC (which is not yet released).

If you have any integrity at all you will fix this monumental years-old bug and give us the game for which we paid good money...one that can be relied upon to play a battle from start to finish, regularly, reliably and consistently. Anything less is a con.

Nice try smile.gif No piece of software is ever fixed to the point of having no bugs. CMx1 is no exception. I'm honestly sorry you are having problems, with it, but there's nothing we are going to do to fix whatever it is. Hopefully someone will give you a suggestion for a work around or something, because it appears to me that something is unique to your situation that is giving you a problem.

As for Kavy, he's pulling your leg. It isn't possible for a pirated version to work better.

Steve

Kavy,

Just a warning... do not tell us you have a pirated copy. We do not take kindly to illegal copies of our programs being used by anybody. It's not only in bad taste to advertise you are doing this, but it is in violation of our Forum rules. I'm going to take it on faith that you do in fact have a legal copy and not ban you from this Forum. Just please keep it to yourself in the future.

Thanks,

Steve

I'd tend to agree with you if this wasn't the exact same bug that stopped us playing years ago, but it's one hell of a coincidence. There's also another thread that I found yesterday after a search, detailing the same issue. Back then it was thought to be caused in CMBO only, by surrendered crew, apparantly fixed.

Would you like me to take a FRAPS of it, and send you that along with the save-file for the battle in question?

Oh, and I do agree with you about it appearing not to be a problem with large numbers of players. That does mystify me. If this was happening to many people it would be all over the forums, here and elsewhere. The mystery is that it's the exact same issue that affected our PCs years back and now, despite our PCs being totally different. "Unhandled Exception" appears on the error-report in XP...mean anything? Flakey RAM possibly?

[ May 01, 2008, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Hetzer21 ]

Arrgh! I'd take a picture of this threat with my original cd-case next to it, but I dont know how to post pictures here =) But really, the p-word version works better for me. Well ok, WORKED at least in my previous computer. I got that weird messed up texts in tcp-ip games very very very often with the original version when starting the games and immediately if I alt-tabbed to desktop, and there was annoying flashing white lines near the edge of the maps. P-word version had no probs at all. So cant really say it would have been issue with graphich card either... But ok, enough about that and sorry for bringing it up.

Just bought a new computer and half life 2 with it. And yes, original hl2 =) First it had some stupid a.i. problem, the after struggling to fix that it now crashes very very very often when loading new areas. *sigh* Then reading from forums that people have same problems and then other people accusing then for having p-word versions, when they really do can have originals, as do I. Just pisses me off. Dont know how this relates to anything but in this hl2 case I bet the p-word version might just work better than the one I spent money to.

Arse, I say =)

Hmm ok I admit that first reply of mine sounds really bad =/

Flakey ram, over-clocked, bad video drivers. Could be a lot of things, you have to give more information then that, like what operating system, what is the error exactly, how were you playing.

As a test, I just played 5 tcp/ip games in a row with zero errors. 2 cmbp, 2 cmbb and a cmak game. The person I played was in the UK and also did not have an issue.

More information then we can at least try to see what is happening with your system.

Rune

I am very confused that you bought multiple copies of a game you considered buggy, then continued to buy its sequels which apparently retained the bug, and you only post now? Why?

I have played the CMx1 series on a total of 10 very different PCs and never had a single issue that repeatedly caused a crash (I don't think I ever even crashed once).

If I remember correctly I've actually bought two copies of CMBO, two of CMBB and one of CMAK. Two hard-copies (CMBO & CMBB) were lost over the years, both replaced with digital DL from BF. CMAK was a DL too, just the other day.

I'm going to assume the issue of the exact same freezes, seperated by many years and PC specs, are an absolute coincidence, given that the majority of players don't suffer from them. I've just ordered a grand's worth of new hardware, so I'll see how the game plays on the new rig once I have it up and running some time tomorrow.

Current spec:

XP-Pro

MSI mobo

P4-3.2Ghz

2Gb RAM

6800-Ultra

Audigy

I'll report back if all's well with new rig, in the interests of fairness. smile.gif

Originally posted by Hetzer21:

I. "Unhandled Exception" appears on the error-report in XP...mean anything? Flakey RAM possibly?

"Unhandled Exception" 'c0000005' errors seem to be from directX problems.

Try a search for that error and troubleshooting solutions posted by Schrullenhaft

Like this.. Linky

or get an old OS9 bootable mac ;)

or read the FAQ troubleshooting guide which covers the Unhandled Exception: c0000005 error

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbb/troubleshooting.html