IGN *Preview *TOW

theBrit

Hmmm I am slightly confused by this statement, did you BF give them the latest build or an early version? They seem to think its early and unfinished, still needing polish in their words.

IGN statement "We've just played through a bit of an early build of the game, and while there's still plenty of polish left to be put on this one, it's looking to be a nice middle ground between wargames and traditional RTS games."

I still detest this being able to view in detail the enemies positions. This freedom of camera is going to be a bugbear for me, and a god send to others I think.

Being a traditional Wargamer I prefer the ability to only see the field from my troops perspective. Being able to fly my camera around, behind, and up close & personal to the enemy is unrealistic.

Originally posted by rune:

Latest build...but who said the latest buil;d was the final build?

Rune

Dont use your Jedi Mind tricks on me Rune, I never mentioned 'Final' build, you did!

hovers hand of lightsabre ;)

Originally posted by Sickie:

Hey Brit,

I recon there will still be FOW so you will only able to see the enemy positions previously discovered by your troops. That's not so bad right?

I'd hope but I've not had any official comment on it. :confused:

TOW features not only FOW, but also "relative spotting", ie. each unit is spotting for himself individually. Matt wrote a blog with a nifty example of how this works in the game some time ago.

Martin

Thanks Moon, I read that, a good blog....but how does that effect the camera movement. Does the camera movement advance as far as the lead unit? Or can the camera fly over terrain features hills, houses and stuff that would normally be beyond the vision of the unit and see the beyond?

Having the ability to view over the shoulder of the enemy is unrealistic. It'll clearly give you an idea of thier LOS and thus exploitable!!!!

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

**Ahem** just because you can fly across the landscape doesn't mean that you can see the enemy, or every detail of the landscape (eg trench, fortification, sandbag...)

**Double Ahem** Thats the detail/confirmation I was asking for in the first place, thank you. Remember my friend some of us dont own the game. ;)

Interesting preview but Steve Butts the previewer must not have seen the camera settings in the options panel where you can set the camera's minimum and maximum heigth over the map. You can adjust it so you can get down to as low as 1 foot above the ground or as high as 250 feet I believe.

You can thank me for that little addition! Actually, you can edit the mission files and raise that limit even higher, but your framerate will begin to suffer and once you get higher than the cloud cover you cant really play too well. ;)

Madmatt