Battlefront interview on Armchair General

Reichenberg

There is a new interview up on Armchair General about ToW.

They talk about the main focus of their recent work:

The most important aspect we are seeking to change is how spotting and targeting work.
What will not be implemented in the release version:

As for most requested but no time… that would be to have infantry enter buildings.
How they want to place it between CoH and CM (from a CM point of view):

This means less minute control over unit behavior and a de-emphasis of features like Command and Control
About the system specs:

Significantly older (2+ years) computers will likely be able to play TOW enjoyably, but definitely not to the fullest extent. Any system bought within the last year or so should be fine. As with any intensive outdoor 3D experience, the higher you crank up the video detail levels the better your system needs to be. Oh, and you also need a DVD player and not just a CD player.
Where ToW stood and about the changes to that position:

The previous publishers wanted a much more fast paced game with dense and fluid combat action....

Not so now anymore. Gameplay is slower overall and much more tactical. Long-range duels (MUCH longer than you’ll see in the typical RTS game including some of the new releases, although perhaps not as long as was possible in the CM games) are much more frequent now. Couple this with some smaller details like the removal of heavy bombers in a close support role (which is totally unrealistic) or the addition of mortars, and you have an entirely different game experience.

And finally (drumroll...) the release and pre-order date:

....but it was decided back in September by us and 1C that we will take whatever time we need to polish this diamond in the rough… so at the moment we’re anticipating to have the first release candidate in a few days, and then release the game, depending on production times and the usual infrastructure issues, at the end of January. We will know the exact schedule a little better in just a few days when we get the next big milestone in and some testing done on it. If it goes well and we don’t hit any unforeseen obstacles, then we plan to open pre-orders before Christmas
Pretty exciting news. Mortars in, (more?) realisitc engagement ranges, no heavy bombers in CAS, hopefully ToW is out by end of January. Just no entering buildings and no word on their plans about the mission and scenario editor.

Uwe

Thank you Uwe for these great news.

The release date of TOW at the end of January sounds really good.

"Long-range duels (MUCH longer than you’ll see in the typical RTS game including some of the new releases" That's exactly what I want. Because tanks play an important role in TOW it would be far away from realistic if the battles with tanks involved play always in these short ranges like in the typical RTS games.

Since more than half a year I play RO and I really hate these "fantasy" tank maps which have a landscape which makes it almost impossible to fight in long-range tank battles.

This is good to hear, thanks for the heads up. Definitely looking forward to the Jan. release. How about on my 31st b-day, the 15th? tongue.gif

Originally posted by TankCommander:

Since more than half a year I play RO and I really hate these "fantasy" tank maps which have a landscape which makes it almost impossible to fight in long-range tank battles.

Stay away from the popular Arad and Ogledow maps then. Look for the BlackDayJuly and Orel maps. Plenty of 800m+ kills on the huge maps. I still remeber my 1st 1000m kill on Orel in a Stuggie, such good fun. Wish there were more maps like them.

I am a little bit surprised that there is no further info of the announced demo..... Ok, ACG has not asked for it specifically, but if there is the demo still planned, I would have expected Battlefront to take advantage of the free publicity - Maybe there is none.

Time will tell.

Uwe

"adjust to the player through clever mission scripting"

arrggh :mad: I hope they get rid of those because I REALLY hate to spend hours finding out what triggers new enemy wave and how to handle it best.

Also I do not want dynamic difficulty.

Overall good that battlefront had courage to make game changes, like adding mortars.

I'm hoping that they will continue to tweak the game with patches post release. A full campaign H2H is essential for me, and the no entering buildings thing is just to bizarre. I hope Battlefront is'nt protecting it's CM franchise by limiting this game's potential. This could be the successor to both CM and Close Combat if they get it right!

Yes, there are a few things (troops not being able to enter buildings) not going to work yet but overall sounds very nice. No Demo? Now what did you expect! BF should take as much time as it needs to get as many things right as they can. As a matter of fact...they should take another month or month and a half to get things right and release it in late February. The last statement is because I'll be on vacation overseas for a month, and I'm pissed that others will get it and be playing it before I even get back home! LOL! So, with this latest news.....it pretty much makes this forum useless till the middle of January...SEE YEAH! LOL!

That troops cannot enter buildings is a deal breaker for me. I've been anticipating this game in its various forms for several years. When Codemasters dropped it, I thought it was finished. Then I got excited again. Sadly, this doesn't sound like what I was hoping it would be. I'll wait for Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway and enjoy a little CQB.

What is RO?

Unfortunately BF does not state if they ever will complete the mod to allow infantry to enter a building. This means no house to house, or even street to street struggles, which is a fairly significant ommission, in the short term.

As although racing through the coutry side sweeping all opposition away is nice, sometimes a well defended village gets in the way.

Bunkers are included though, from the screen shots, so maybe houses are just around the corner, lets hope so, I think I will wait and see before deciding.

Hmm, I have to agree with the "wait and see" crowd for now. I was hoping this release would help fill the gap until the upcoming WW2 game from BF, but the lack of building-centric battles leaves it incomplete. Oh well, it's not like I haven't got other games to play in the meantime.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Gromit

Yes, I too am hunkered down to wait this out.

You guys at Battlefront finally sold me on Down In Flames..... it is so much fun!!! smile.gif Herein lies the capabilities of a great demo.

So I am patiently waiting..... I don't see anyone else doing something this great on this scale. Please get it right!!!!

"That, sir.., is an ORDER."

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!