Schutzenpanzerwagen Variants?

Copper

Originally posted by Copper:

I saw a picture of medium German halftrack with a single machine gun. I was wondering if there will be variants in the works for this or future releases of ToW? Or for that matter, any variants for German armor?

No. There will only be the plain vanilla SdKfz 251/1, and german armor will exclusively be PzKpfw IV Ausf. H.

Only allied armor will show all variants and sub-types in full detail.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

There will only be the plain vanilla SdKfz 251/1, and german armor will exclusively be PzKpfw IV Ausf. H.

That's actually not too far off from what the original Squad Leader did. There were StuGs and Brummbaers, and the PzIVs were Ausf F2, but no big cats. And you know what? It was good.

Originally posted by RMC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

There will only be the plain vanilla SdKfz 251/1, and german armor will exclusively be PzKpfw IV Ausf. H.

That's actually not too far off from what the original Squad Leader did. There were StuGs and Brummbaers, and the PzIVs were Ausf F2, but no big cats. And you know what? It was good. </font>

Say again, over.

The 105mm Sherman in the original SL uses the designation M4M52 - which I believe was a postwar designation? Fly**** and pepper, I know, just thought I'd see if you are half the SL grog you claim to be. smile.gif It was a comment on the historical accuracy of SL in its original form...

Would you also be a proponent of using playing cards for force selection?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

That's actually not too far off from what the original Squad Leader did. There were StuGs and Brummbaers, and the PzIVs were Ausf F2, but no big cats. And you know what? It was good. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RMC:

Say again, over.

The 105mm Sherman in the original SL uses the designation M4M52 - which I believe was a postwar designation? Fly**** and pepper, I know, just thought I'd see if you are half the SL grog you claim to be. smile.gif It was a comment on the historical accuracy of SL in its original form...

Would you also be a proponent of using playing cards for force selection? </font>

I thought that's what you meant, but I wasn't going to hazard a guess as to the actual designation, game or otherwise.

Playing cards were a cool..."technique." I think we mostly played Hill 621 and Road to Wiltz over and over again so we didn't use the card draw system too much.

Originally posted by Barkhorn1x:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RMC:

Say again, over.

Would you also be a proponent of using playing cards for force selection? </font>

good?

well, rather realistic, maybe. even tho the Panther *was* quite numerous towards the end.

no, I'm not gonna pull out production numbers.

but - good?

Yes, it was good. It played well. It was fun. SL started as an infantry game and tanks were originally to be left out entirely. They added tanks in a limited, balanced way and it kept infantry as the core of the game. When Cross of Iron came out it went into complete tank grogery.

I fear somebody gets the short end of the stick here with such a force pool.

it's relatively little lopsided if the allies only get vanilla M4 Shermans and the russians only T34/76. In a CM type battle, the Brummbär would simply dominate the field with its frontal armor. sittin' fat and lazy on some hilltop, waiting for some imprudent, overeager Sherman or T-34 to stumkble into view.

Well, that's because you never played it. The Russkies got T-34/76, Su-122, and Su-152. Which were very close in game terms to the PzIV, StuH 105, and Brummbaer 150 respectively. Oddly enough the armor ratings were abstracted where the PzIV and T-34 were the base rating and the assault guns were +1, 152 and Brummie, +2.

If the allies have later Sherman 76mm or T34 models in the AH pool, not even talking about M36, Pershings, IS-2; ISU-152/SU-122/SU152 here, then the germans are gonna eat dust.

It was a simpler time. Historical service dates, rarity, differentiation between hull and turret armor, ground pressure and all that came in later modules.

Michael:

I bought SL via mail when the game was first released in '77 - I was 15 - I still have the full color ad spread from The General that got me to order - wish I had a scanner. ;)

And yes that "card deck" force selection sheet was an "interesting" approach.

Barkhorn.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Barkhorn1x:

Michael:

I bought SL via mail when the game was first released in '77 - I was 15 - I still have the full color ad spread from The General that got me to order - wish I had a scanner. ;) Barkhorn.

I wish you did too! :( </font>

hey RMC,

totally off topic but while we're here...

just about half an hour ago all hell was breaking loose over at Leighton.

is there some sort of weird national holiday going on, or are they practicing scorched earth tactics, blowing everything up before turning things over to the germans?

it really didnt sound like fireworks. more like cannon fire. and it wasn't orderly.

:confused:

it really didnt sound like fireworks. more like cannon fire. and it wasn't orderly.

:confused:

My house in Miami is 4,894.25 miles from Leighton Barracks. How the hell should I know what they're doing there?

Maybe they're having an inactivation ceremony of some kind...at night...with NVGs...and shizzle.

The question still has not really been answered: will there only be a "generic" Sdkfz 250 or 251 and M3 or will there be variants? They can't be customized, according to a reply from Megakill in another thread, but are some variants included?

Flame throwing Sdkfz 251's, or the "Stummel" (or "Strummel"/"Trummel" for all you people that like posting pictures of bears and drums whenever someone makes a typo).

Why does the variant question always come down to flamethrowers?

I suppose the mortar carrier versions are all out until the mortar issue itself is fixed. I suspect the animation requirements may limit the number of OT AFV variants in general.

Why does the variant question always come down to flamethrowers?

It doesn't, flamethrowers were just one of the many variants.

The "Stummel" variants would be a good addition think, as they were usually the only mobile anti-tank defences that they had access to for Panzer Grenadiere regiments (StuG's were not a part of the PzG regiments).