A New AAR!

Copper

Hmmm...I thought the greyed icons represented all KOd stuff, but it seems that some of those hulks have no icon over top. They also look to be severely blackened (burnt?); perhaps the grey stuff is just for units that have been abandoned, but could be recrewed?

Originally posted by ComradeP:

I believe the "grey" icon indicates an abandoned/broken tank, which would mean that the Russian SU 122 on the left and the T34 on the right are taking a cruise through a field littered with broken tanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

perhaps the grey stuff is just for units that have been abandoned, but could be recrewed?

well thats what everybody else is thinking, I guess. </font>

In case it hasn't been yet answered by the others the grey icons indeed show tanks or guns which can be re-crewed. When you move your mouse over such an icon you can also see if the tank is fully functional, or if it has a mobility or gun kill for example.

BTW, these little unit icons will become your best friend in TOW. If toggled on you see them on your screen always, even if a unit is not within camera view (they are then arranged on the screen edge closest to the location), and you can click on them which jumps to that location. They can be using to give orders (as well as targets for orders; for example in the blog I mentioned that you can select a group of infantry and right-click on a tank icon, which will make the infantry group seek cover and follow the tank, using it for cover) or to padlock the camera to them, or you can mass-select them as a group and so forth. Very useful and effective way of control.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

In case it hasn't been yet answered by the others the grey icons indeed show tanks or guns which can be re-crewed. When you move your mouse over such an icon you can also see if the tank is fully functional, or if it has a mobility or gun kill for example.

BTW, these little unit icons will become your best friend in TOW. If toggled on you see them on your screen always, even if a unit is not within camera view (they are then arranged on the screen edge closest to the location), and you can click on them which jumps to that location. They can be using to give orders (as well as targets for orders; for example in the blog I mentioned that you can select a group of infantry and right-click on a tank icon, which will make the infantry group seek cover and follow the tank, using it for cover) or to padlock the camera to them, or you can mass-select them as a group and so forth. Very useful and effective way of control.

Martin

I want the demo now or i'm going to hurt you! tongue.gif

RMC,

If you want to see German antitank close combat tactics and techniques, please see the video links in my post here.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=004880

Megakill,

Don't forget the Japanese lunge mines (think ATMM

looking thing with spikes rather than magnets on a bamboo pole), but my favorite is an account I read somewhere of a road in the Philippines that was live mined with a series of pits, each holding a Japanese soldier holding a hammer and cradling an armed aerial bomb. The colonel? who encountered this describes how he went for a stroll down the road, systematically killing with his .45 each Japanese in a pit. Once that was done, the advance resumed. I believe the Handbook on Japanese Military forces covers all of these and more.

Now that I've got your attention, is there any way to put in at least a rudimentary delay reflecting the very real differences between radio equipped tanks and those that were not?

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

RMC,

If you want to see German antitank close combat tactics and techniques, please see the video links in my post here.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=004880

Megakill,

Don't forget the Japanese lunge mines (think ATMM

looking thing with spikes rather than magnets on a bamboo pole), but my favorite is an account I read somewhere of a road in the Philippines that was live mined with a series of pits, each holding a Japanese soldier holding a hammer and cradling an armed aerial bomb. The colonel? who encountered this describes how he went for a stroll down the road, systematically killing with his .45 each Japanese in a pit. Once that was done, the advance resumed. I believe the Handbook on Japanese Military forces covers all of these and more.

Now that I've got your attention, is there any way to put in at least a rudimentary delay reflecting the very real differences between radio equipped tanks and those that were not?

Regards,

John Kettler

Probably not now. This will require a huge rework of the AI I am affraid.

but my favorite is an account I read somewhere of a road in the Philippines ... The colonel? who encountered this describes how he went for a stroll down the road, systematically killing with his .45 each Japanese in a pit...
I read of that happening in Burma.

But I don't remember it being a colonel or a .45. In fact, I don't remember the guy's rank or his weapon at all - 'cept that it was a pistol.

OTOH, I do remember "Burma." smile.gif

I'd assumed it was a unique incident. It always struck me as being somewhat nightmarish, so maybe I'm just being optimistic.

On French tanks, or any with C&C problems:

I wonder of a poor spotting ability would do a decent job of reflecting the problems with French tanks. One of the chief aspects of no radio and an overworked crew would be, I think, slowness at reacting to new threats. Not seeing a threat for quite awhile would also result in slowness to reacting to new threats.

Maybe 1C could install some Annoy-ware advertising an expansion that results in lots of pop-ups whenever you select a tank with C&C problems. I think that'd work, too.

[ August 17, 2006, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]

M Hofbauer,

Am profoundly curious as to how this issue is going to be handled, considering that the French, for example, had tanks with better, heavier guns and substantially thicker armor than did the Germans. Anyone care to take Panzer IIs vs. Somuas where the Somuas have the same OODA cycle time as the Panzer IIs?

Regards,

John Kettler

ooooooooooooooo. OODA cycle. Be still my heart. It's gone all a-flutter.

I think there is no way to really fix the problem of poor C2 of the French tanks other than possibly making all of their crews poor and immune to improvement.

I'm keen to know if the other aspects of design problems are modelled. Megakill stated in another thread that having a better gunner speeds up reloading. This could be the case in a one-man or two-man turret, but not one with a dedicated loader. Will we see a longer reload time in a cramped tank without a dedicated loader? I sure hope so.