Trenches in plain clear view at beggining? ref SimHQ AAR

gunnersman

I noticed in the AAR at Sim HQ that the trenches were in clear view the whole time and were not hidden until spotted by friendly units.

Is this the way it is suppose to be? Is this realistic? Or does this simulate a some form of basic reconnaissance?

Im used to playing CMBO/CMBB/CMAK and not seeing trenches from the start of the game(unless of course part of a trench or trench system was spotted after setup).

It would take some of the fun (frustration?) out if I knew exactly where the enemy would be.

The trenches were also in pretty obvious terrain and judging by Luftwaffe activity, they could've been spotted even if the "Reveal trenches"-like system would not be always "on" so to speak.

I don't think it matters all that much whether you can see trenches. Sure, you can plan your assault, but you have no clue where the largest concentration of enemy troops is.

From what I have seen, all fortification are part of the map design, and therefore are visible on game start (and usually pointed out in briefings as being either part of the main objective of the attacking player, or at least close to it). In other words, in the missions that I have seen at least, battlefield recon is done properly before the mission starts.

Martin

ah, so this is what all the Aufklärer-Fernaufklärer-reconnaisance-recon_detachments-Aufklärungsabteilungen-Panzerspähwagen-Späher-scouts-uswusf were for...

and here I was thinking that like in RedAlert the forces in WW II didnt have any maps and terrain knowledge and simply stumble forward into the dark edges of the map to be surprised by whatever they find there.

Doesn't the fact that entrenchments are placed by the scenario designer and can't be modified by the player sort of a handicap for the person playing the defensive end of the battle?

I hate to compare this game to CM, since this has been done already, but this concept reminds me of battles in CM where the defensive entrenchments are padlocked. In battles like this, the scenario designer, not the player, determines how the defense will more or less be set up.

Cuirassier, in CM battles this is sometimes justified if the scenario designer wants a mission to be played (or at least started) in a historical way. While a "what if" scenario might be something interesting to explore for the defender, that's usually not he point of the scenario, and the outcome (in a well designed battle) doesn't depend on it either.

It's a similar situation with TOW. While the maps favor a certain starting point, many other factors determine the outcome of the battle due to good map design. There are many options to each map, and since due to my own inability to actuall win a battle I was forced to replay a lot of missions so far I am surprised over and over again at how differently they play out even against the AI. Even the starting forces seem to change.

So as a defender, you do not always have to use the trenches and fortified positions. You can choose to keep some guys back in reserve, effectively turning some fortifications into dummy positions to lure out the enemy artillery or air support.

Martin

If you can lure your opponent to spend his artillery support on your (empty) trenches while your infantry lies safely in a reverse slope ambush I'd wouldn't call this a disadvantage.

But still, the inability to move/create trench systems is IMO another serious issues for the game.

For me the main interest lies in multiplayer battles. I will play through the offline campaigns and will probably have fun doing so, but what I'm wondering is if I'll be still playing ToW 6 months after release. The lack of a map/scenario editor and now the fixed fortifications on the maps are not very helpful to provide this longterm playability.