Passengers?

Graf York

Rak, sure it was, but they would dismount before going into battle. Not wise to sit on a tank when it's rotating its turret and firing (or revceiving fire).

The missions in TOW represent the battle itself, not the preparation and assembly, so this feature won't really be missed much.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Rak, sure it was, but they would dismount before going into battle. Not wise to sit on a tank when it's rotating its turret and firing (or revceiving fire).

The missions in TOW represent the battle itself, not the preparation and assembly, so this feature won't really be missed much.

Martin

I agree - basicly you always start in a "battle mode" often you have just seconds before shells start flying in your direction

so we didn't model this (hellish amoutn of work give all the realistic animations we are making) and alost no real value for the gameplay

Ok, thanks for the responses. I thought TOW had more "preparation" time smile.gif

Of course, I don't want you to divert your resources for something if it's only cosmetic and unnecessary. But maybe when you have time between game and it's expansion smile.gif

By the way, you are the best devs I've seen. You take every idea, every comment seriously and take your time to answer them. Couple this with your awesome selection of best simulation and war games, I think this will make me one of your "usual" customers smile.gif

Originally posted by Rak:

Ok, thanks for the responses. I thought TOW had more "preparation" time smile.gif

Of course, I don't want you to divert your resources for something if it's only cosmetic and unnecessary. But maybe when you have time between game and it's expansion smile.gif

By the way, you are the best devs I've seen. You take every idea, every comment seriously and take your time to answer them. Couple this with your awesome selection of best simulation and war games, I think this will make me one of your "usual" customers smile.gif

Thank you, sir! Trying to do what feels right and not just be a corporate games making machine with excel files leading the way and not creativity :)

In some battles you have more prep time of course. In my AAR I chose to advance pretty much straight away, but I could have hung back some and shifted laterally a lot more than I did before triggering a response from the Poles. Even at that point though dismounting would have been a "last minute let's get the heck off he tank" affair, so I can see why it's not in there, especially in light of what Megakill just said WRT the needed animations.

At the level of detail that TOW features you simply do not have the same easy escape route that we had with CM where you can simply abstract some stuff that you don't have the time to do visually. This is actually an important comment which applies to a whole bunch of areas in the game that are currently being compared to CM (not surprisingly of course).

Martin

This whole mounted/dismounted is an interested point and the reason I asked about fighting from the vehicles.

I guess the whole focus of the game at the tacical level means a that a lot of activity can be assume to have happen before the start of a particular scenerio ie, to troop are at the start line and beginning the assault, so have already debussed.

My question about fighting/firing from vehicles was aim at latter war scenerios where for example panzer grenadier troops would fight into a position and then debus.

Just a remark, not a criticism: many will remember the more than generic "mounting vehicles" animation from Operation Flashpoint. I do not remember too many complaints about that animation looking bad or artificial: Everybody was too busy driving around in planes, jeeps, tanks and trucks ;) ... you get the idea!

Disclaimer: Better have the game sooner without some elements than in 2008 with all bells and whistles!

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: Cannot help but notice the irony of you guys producing a fun movie with hundreds of essentially useless animations and then blaming missing features on missing animations tongue.gif

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Just a remark, not a criticism: many will remember the more than generic "mounting vehicles" animation from Operation Flashpoint. I do not remember too many complaints about that animation looking bad or artificial: Everybody was too busy driving around in planes, jeeps, tanks and trucks ;) ... you get the idea!

Disclaimer: Better have the game sooner without some elements than in 2008 with all bells and whistles!

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: Cannot help but notice the irony of you guys producing a fun movie with hundreds of essentially useless animations and then blaming missing features on missing animations tongue.gif

It is a work of 1 guy only.

Furthermore making some animations in Max and usign them in game - 2 different stories :)

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Couldn't agree more. I don't really care if certain systems aren't in the game's initial release... eventually they will be there.

They are getting the data right, to me that was my main beef with this game as that is the basis for whether it is going to behave realistically or not.

A missing system here and there isn't a problem IMO. Get the game out, if it is a huge hit, which I am thinking it most likely will be, then they can then afford to hire another animator or two for the next iteration. Even then I'm sure they won't be able to please everybody (me included).

Bil

Yeah future looks very good indeed when money starts to flow game concept can be improved never ending. Like in Total War series.

What comes to passengers I wonder are soldiers heads below side edge of APC? So that they would be prodected totally against small arms fire.

A tank crawling with infantry is a juicy target for an MG. Very high concentration of troops on an elevated bullseye. If my men drove into battle like that I'd shoot them myself.

Ok for strategic movement, but too dangerous for tactical. Should put it in though so I can wipe clean some enemy afv's in multiplayer :D

Fighting from the backs of vehicles was much more common in Hollywood than on the Eastern Front. On a bumpy ride across the steppes, passengers held on with both hands to keep from breaking their necks.

OTOH, I was hoping there'd be some opportunity for maneuver before units came into contact with the enemy, but maybe on the scale of this game that won't matter.