Is anyone doing a WW1 mod?

Guest Mike

Guest Mike

Bugger - I was afraid of that........if it's left up to me we may well be at the 100th anniversary of the assasination before it sees the light of day :(

I'm VERY interested in making one, as I am more interested in WW1 history, where I am of the opinion that any of the 2 sides could have won this war.

But, I need alot of information. I will try and rely on www.firstworldwar.com

I will base it on Huberts map because it will keep me from having to do alot of changes to units. But still it would require a few changes around the Balkans and Ottoman empire.

Being a patch tester is also keeping me busy.

But now my WW2 mod is IMHO the most historical WW2 mod out there while keeping with HCs campaign.

I bet someone will have something going before me.

[ July 05, 2006, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Blashy ]

Guest Mike

I'm also awaiting GoA, but I suspect it'll be a way off yet, and a good SC2 mod will be a better "Beer & Pretzels" game.

blashy it was reading that site and looking at het maps that made me think of it - let me know if I can help! smile.gif

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

I'm one of the Beta testers - I think it's safe to say it won't be out this year!

OUCH!

I remember when Frank had his ADANAC site that he wrote of his disinterest in coding a competent AI...He felt that the AI was only to be used for practice and testing your HtoH strategies and believed that the strength of the game was to be PBEM...I know you cannot violate the NDA so will not comment, but I would hazard a guess that the AI needs alot of work, but never thought it would be that long...OUCH! again.....

I'd like to see one too, but I can't even hazard a guess on how someone can reflect trench warfare or mustard gas without affecting game play.

Same thing with the impact of air warfare. Using Blashy's source: LINK

When war broke out the number of aircraft on all sides and all fronts was very small. France, for example, had less than 140 aircraft at the start of the war. By the end of the war she fielded 4,500 aircraft, more than any other protagonist. While this may seem an impressive increase, it does not give a true indication of the amount of aircraft involved. During the war France produced no less than 68,000 aircraft. 52,000 of them were lost in battle, a horrendous loss rate of 77%.

The period between 1914 and 1918 saw not only tremendous production, but also tremendous development in aircraft technology.

If a WW1 mod is going to be even loosely based on historical numbers, this could be an exploit area.

I am placing some material that might be used by someone who can create Bit-Map images for gaming units!,...so...here it is!.

http://classictoysoldiers.com/cgi-bin/ctsc6/rtl/cat_dsply.cgi?cat_id=000028&Category=54mm%20Toy%20Soldiers&cat_tn_ref=&cat_des=

APL101.jpg

American Doughboys

APL103.jpg

French Infantry

APL106.jpg

British Soldiers

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Manufacturers.html

REV2504a.JPG

REV2504b.JPG

German WW1 Infantry

REV2505a.JPG

REV2505b.JPG

French WW1 Infantry

http://arquebus.com/brit_ww1/brit_ww1.html

17807.jpg

More...RELATED WEBSITES:

http://www.toy-soldier.com/Toyinternetregister.asp

http://www.toysoldierco.com/MainPages/SearchResults.asp?Source=Level1&Page=Plastic

http://www.toysoldierco.com/MainPages/Product.asp?ItemID=5953 WW1 RUSSIAN INFANTRY

[ July 09, 2006, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

Guest Mike

Most of the a/c "lost in combat" were actually lost in accidents - the a/c of the time were very fragile by todays standards, and a hard landing could be enough to bust a fuselage or a wing spar.

And of course the state of training wasn't that hot (that is the way they trained pilots, not the amount of training they gave them - that's a seperate issue) because aeronautical science was in its infancy, hence training accidents were as common as muck - I read somewhere that on average every pilot in WW1 probably destroyed 1 a/c during training!

WW1 combat is commonly portrayed as slaughter and gas and machineguns, but the truth is far from that.

As early as 1915 French Captain Andre Laffargue was advocating by-passing strong points and it was his ideas that the Germans adopted and refined to form their Stosstruppen in 1917 and 1918.

Artillery tactics evolved enourmously - at hte start of the war field artillery was often stilll as it had been in Napoleonic times - firing directly at enemy they could see. By the end of the war they had progressed to walking barrages, box barrages, "silent" registration, map fire.

and it was the needs of artillery spotting aircraft that drove most of the air war - the requirements to protect your own and shoot down the other guy's 2-seaters was the driving force.

Even at the Somme there were excellent examples of attacking tactics from some of the British divisions - some had crawled out into no-mans land and were only a few hundred yards from the German trenches when the barrage lifted (eg the 36th (Ulster) Division, while the 56th had dug trenches out into no-mans land to get them closer.

South of the Albert-Bapaume road French artillery had done a better job of the bombardment - being more numerous and more experienced than the British artillery, plus hte German defences were weaker.

the battles in July also showed what proper preparation could do, with the Australian 1st Division commander refusing to attack Pozieres until his troops were ready, and subsequently taking it with ease, and a roling barrage used to take Bazentine Ridge on Bastille day.

On the Eastern front and in Palestine there were also many more opportunities for "manouvre" - especially if you were the Germans or Empire forces respectively.

So while the horror of the trenches is certainly the lasting impression we all have of WW1 it is not the whole truth!

• 2 weeks later...

Plus, Canada was the kick ass army over there, the Germans did their best to avoid having to fight the Canucks.

I agree with the statement, Canada as a country was born during WW1. The rest of the world knew who Canada was after that.

Heck we even have a peace of Canadian land in Europe, Vimy memorial is on Canadian soil and in Belgium they still have a daily salute for our fighting to liberate one of their towns.

True, canada should be put into play, but i dont think USA should. They joined the war in april 1917, and im sure by that time the game's direction should be shown. (If it starts at 1914, that is) But i would like USA to have a small island that can't be conquered, just to send convoys to UK. But maybe France should recieve a convoy as well, because they weren't conquered in world war 1 and put up stiff fights.

Also, i think italy should be a minor, maybe under France's control.

The major countries in the game i think would be best like this-

Central Powers

-Germany and central power minors

-Austria-Hungary

-Ottoman Empire

Triple Entente

-France

-UK and Entente minors, or maybe Great Britain and Entente minors.

-Russian Empire

Anyone agree with me?

Also, i recently played emprie earth again, and they had good-looking tanks from that time, if someone retouches them or enlarges them they can serve as the tanks. Also, they had AA Flaktrak tanks in the game, did they have those in the war? Would be cool to see an anti-air tank unit in the game.

Originally posted by Fartknock3r:

True, canada should be put into play, but i dont think USA should. They joined the war in april 1917, and im sure by that time the game's direction should be shown. (If it starts at 1914, that is) But i would like USA to have a small island that can't be conquered, just to send convoys to UK. But maybe France should recieve a convoy as well, because they weren't conquered in world war 1 and put up stiff fights.

Central Powers

-Austria-Hungary

-Ottoman Empire

Triple Entente

-France

-Russian Empire

Anyone agree with me?

i disagree, greatly.

US manpower is what tipped the balance of power in the war. So when late 1917 rolls around, and the Allies are holding on for dear life, those American Corps will make a WORLD of difference

Originally posted by Carl G. E. von Mannerheim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fartknock3r:

Central Powers

-Austria-Hungary

-Ottoman Empire

Triple Entente

-France

-Russian Empire

Anyone agree with me?

i disagree, greatly.

US manpower is what tipped the balance of power in the war. So when late 1917 rolls around, and the Allies are holding on for dear life, those American Corps will make a WORLD of difference </font>

Originally posted by Blashy:

Actually making Germany and Ottoman empire works best.

Austro-Hungary can be part of Germany. That is what SC1 WW1 mods had and it worked out allright.

in fairness, when I made the WW1 mod for Germany, Austria was hardcoded to be part of germany ;)

but you're correct, I just named german armies '1st austrian army' etc.

Originally posted by Carl G. E. von Mannerheim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blashy:

Actually making Germany and Ottoman empire works best.

Austro-Hungary can be part of Germany. That is what SC1 WW1 mods had and it worked out allright.

in fairness, when I made the WW1 mod for Germany, Austria was hardcoded to be part of germany ;)

but you're correct, I just named german armies '1st austrian army' etc. </font>