cm on mac

Not the current CMx1 games (CMBO, CMBB and CMAK), sadly. They only run in OS9x, but not in classic under OS 10.4 (Tiger)or any other version of OSX for that matter. The new games BFC are making are slated to run in OSX, but who knows when that will be with all the Intel stuff still up in the air.

PS. You can run CMBO under classic with Hardware graphics IE no 3d Aceleration. So its really slow even on good machines with the 1.42Ghz G4. Note that the new Mac's only run the OSX 10.3 or higher.

• 1 year later...

Grumlin,

You CAN’T (simple enough for you).

With an Intel Mac BookPro the ONLY option is to install Windows (via BootCamp or Parallel‘s desktop) and then but and install the Windows versions.

BootCamp forces you to reboot the machine as a Windows box (but gives the best performance).

Parallel’s lets you run both concurrently (bit like Soft / Virtual PC used to do) but you suffer from performance and compatibility hits.

CrossOver will also work (I think you can get by without buying Windows but you do need the Windows version of CM whatever), but I haven’t tried this.

Bottom line if you want to run CM whatever (Mac version) on your Mac then the best thing to do is look for an old G4 PowerBook that lets you boot into either OS X or OS 9 (NOT Classic - which you can’t run on an Intel box anyway) if you need portability or buy an old G4 box that runs OS 9 and leave it on that with CM installed (I have a G4 mirror door doing just this).

Only very early model G4s are bootable into OS9 to run mac CM

Apple - Mac OS 8 and 9 compatibility with Macintosh computers

You'll need OS 9.2.2 installed (9.0 with upgrades freely available from Apple website)

CrossOver - jeffsmith reports that it currently doesn't work with CM. gibsonm, have you had CM up and running? what version?

Parallel's - Pzman reports that it doesn't support 3D acceleration.

Bootcamp + XP - works for installing PC CM on a mac intel

Link to recent thread

Originally posted by Wicky:

Not really, I have a 1GHz G4 Powerbook and a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 PowerMac (the last G4 made) that both happily boot under 9.2.2 and run CMBO, CMBB and CMAK (BTW: they also run 10.4.8 quite happily).

CrossOver - jeffsmith reports that it currently doesn't work with CM. gibsonm, have you had CM up and running? what version?

No - That’s what I meant when I said:

but I haven’t tried this.
But the answer to the original question remains that you can not run Mac Versions of CMBO, CMBB or CMAK on an Intel Mac.

whoops I meant early G3 (edit) ibooks (pre 2002ish) like your example of early G4 powerbooks which are OS9 bootable.

When I upgraded to a G5 I also got my self a cheap G4 400 desktop and slapped a 1.4Ghz processor and ati 7500 agp all for a couple of hundred quid just for CM.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wicky:

Not really, I have a 1GHz G4 Powerbook and a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 PowerMac (the last G4 made) that both happily boot under 9.2.2 and run CMBO, CMBB and CMAK (BTW: they also run 10.4.8 quite happily).

No - That’s what I meant when I said:

but I haven’t tried this.
But the answer to the original question remains that you can not run Mac Versions of CMBO, CMBB or CMAK on an Intel Mac. </font>

whoops I meant early G4 ibooks (pre 2002ish) like your example of early G4 powerbooks which are OS9 bootable.

I don't think any G4 iBook is OS 9 bootable.

To my knowledge the first one was the white G4/800 which I had until the motherboard failed, and it certainly was not dual-boot.

All the best

Andreas

Yes I’m afraid so.

However, Lack of OS X support is mentioned several times in the FAQ “system requirements” part of the web site (if I recall correctly).

There are some OS 9 emulator products but I doubt if they would give you the performance, video or graphic support that you would like.