Player mechanics?

GreenAsJade

Sorry I haven't gathered this from what I've read: is CMC primarily intended as: a 2 player game (IE each player does the strategic and CM games for his side) or is it a kind of team thing?

We've been setting up a manual campaign that is kind of a team thing, though the CM game players aren't tied to a team.

We've bumped into the issue that if the commanders are doing a good job, then the CM battles will be one-sided. Who wants to play one-sided battles? Not many.

OTOH, if the battles are generally going to be balanced (by any mechanism you can think of) then the strategic game is largely irrelevant. (Since no matter what the high level commander does, he can't gain an advantage for his side).

Comments?

GaJ

Yes, any decent campaign system will throw up 'unbalanced' battles. It is up to you to make the most of these; either lose as little as possible in the attack, or kill as much as possible on the defence, and seek to keep them 'unbalanced' in your favour. If the result is obvious or immaterial, you can autocalculate it.

Often the climax of the campaign will hinge on 1 or 2 'balanced' battles.

Agreed. I love the prospect of not knowing what I'm defending against, and having to make the decision to conserve my forces and try to withdraw orderly. Conversely, it will be fun to attack and find that the defenders are too numerous to succeed.

Basically, after years of playing mostly balanced battles against people, I am looking forward to the challenge of more realistic battles.

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Agreed. I love the prospect of not knowing what I'm defending against, and having to make the decision to conserve my forces and try to withdraw orderly. Conversely, it will be fun to attack and find that the defenders are too numerous to succeed.

Basically, after years of playing mostly balanced battles against people, I am looking forward to the challenge of more realistic battles.

I think you have some idea of what's coming bases on the strategic map. Setup will be crucial. If you know you are totally out gunned. Set up on the back edge of the map. Flee to the adjacent map and bring help from other MEs in the next round of battles.

All this is great ... if you are the overall commander.

I'm wondering if there's some idea that one person will be playing the high level battle ... the overall commander ... and other players will be playing the CMBB battlers.

In this case, do you really want to be thrown into a total loss?

GaJ

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

In this case, do you really want to be thrown into a total loss?

GaJ

Well,

if I´ve got one platoon of russian inf against a german battalion , I´m obviously gonna loose.

But I think the point is, what Im gonna get out of it.If I´m able to inflict sumwhat greater losses on the germans than my platoon is worth pointwise, it´s still a good deal for me.