Questions on Auto Resolution Battles

General Bolt

Are there any general orders issued just before auto res battles. Something like, dig in/hold ground, probe, all out attack.

Or is every battle a fight to the death? Something like: Two groups meet and both try like hell to own all 4 flags on the map.

Or is it not specific "auto res" orders but the flow of the game. The side that just entered the square is the attacker and will always attack. The side that was there will defend. If boff sides enter a square at the same time it's a ME.

I'd like to know a bit more about this as well.

I can imagine some of the larger campaigns being very time intensive if every single "encounter" has to fought-out in CMBB.

It may be nice to off load a few battles to the auto-resolve but only if it is robust enough to produce a variety of results based on a variety of factors and not just a simplistic odds comparison.

Let's say a people-fought battle ends with both sides in control of 1/2 the map and both sides having depleted companys. Both commanders give dig in/hold ground orders. In the next hour neither side gets any reinforcements. What's gonna happen in a auto-resolve battle???

How about if help shows up (attacking force) at the 30 minute mark, would the holding units join in the attack??

I bet a good detailed AAR would answer this and many other questions.

I don't get the feeling from the info that's been released so far that the auto resolve will actually play the battle in CMBB behind the scenes using AI on AI. It sounded more like a probability table resolution based on force sizes along with some modifiers and random casualites.

For example, Side A has 2000 points attacking Side B which is dug in with 400 points. At a 5:1 ratio, Side A needs a 5 or better on a 2d6 to win, but defender get +1 for dug in and +1 for night engagement, so the attacker actually needs a 7 or better. Computer rolls a 9 (Tactical Victory). Sector goes to the attacker. Attacker takes (roll again, 3) light casualties and the defender takes (roll again, 7) moderate casualties. Assign 200pts of losses to the attackers and 200pts to the defenders, or something.

This is based entirely on my reading of the tea leaves, but seems much simpler and faster than AI on AI battles and less likely to lead to unrealistic outcomes and huge losses from auto resolved encounters.

Auto-resolve does not play out the battle in CMBB. It resolves the battle very quickly just using factors like the troops involved, the terrain, the orders, their readiness, the weather and time of day, etc.

What would be nice is to turn this into a more fully featured 'mini-battle' feature. Maybe for a future version tongue.gif

Hunter

Originally posted by Hunter:

Auto-resolve does not play out the battle in CMBB. It resolves the battle very quickly just using factors like the troops involved, the terrain, the orders, their readiness, the weather and time of day, etc.

What would be nice is to turn this into a more fully featured 'mini-battle' feature. Maybe for a future version tongue.gif

Hunter

Thanks Hunter,

The key parameter I was questioning was "ORDERs".

More questions:

What are the possible outcomes of a AutoResolveBattle (ARB)?

Can a unit be forced to retreat?

Can boff sides still hold some ground be on the ARB square?

Can one side be forced to do a total surrender in ate ARB square?

Are all of these outcomes possible depending on the factors mentioned above, especially force ratio.

Yet another question: You state it resovles battles very quickly....

What if... a depleted platoon(Ger) has a tank battailion (Russ) move in at minutee 5... ARB results in all dead for the platoon. Then at minute 7 another (Russ)mech inf company moves in, will these guys not get fired on because the original battle was resolved "quickly"...