How small?

There's an old saying, it isn't the size of your command, but...

Seriously, we've heard that a battalion is the largest force we will "officially" be able to command, but what about the other end. I'm assuming that it is going to be a platoon, but I havn't heard anything about this.

Personally, I'd like to see a very small mission, say 5 or 10 turns with just a squad (2 fire teams) just a simple take a LMG or clear a house sort of thing. Perhaps it would make a good start for the intro campaign? Just to introduce moving around the map and very basic infantry tactics in MOUT.

Just an idea.

Cause I'm sure if your not some middle aged grograd who already knows everything, the community doesn't want you, and BFC doesn't want your money.

For the record, basic infantry tactics, say pinning down with one squad, flanking and assulting with another took me a long time to figure out. A tutorial mission on doing this in CMBO would have been greatly appreciated.

BFC may indeed be shooting for a different market with this game. The questions we seem to be asking are: Why did they do this? and How can we change their mind? The question we need to be asking (and one that I hope BFC is considering) is How can we get people whoever never played a real wargame intrested in one? as opposed to say Starcraft.

Originally posted by Dillweed:

For the record, basic infantry tactics, say pinning down with one squad, flanking and assulting with another took me a long time to figure out. A tutorial mission on doing this in CMBO would have been greatly appreciated.

Have you checked out the tutorial in CMBB? It's not quite as small as what you have been talking about, but it's pretty small.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dillweed:

Have you checked out the tutorial in CMBB? It's not quite as small as what you have been talking about, but it's pretty small.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Dillweed:

From what I recall the tutorial for CMBB was the one with the bogged down KV. The Steel Roadblock. Good at tank stuff not so much on infantry.

No, the one I am thinking of is a couple of squads of German infantry with an HMG and an ATG holding some woods against a platoon of Soviet infantry reinforced with a light mortar and an MG plus a couple or three T-34/76s. Maybe 15-20 turns, I guess. Been about 3 years since I played it, I guess.

Besides, a sucessful infantry attack in CMBB is a whole different animal than one in CMBO.
True. It requires a bit more tactical finesse.

smile.gif

Michael

A CMx2 1:1 represented company should fill a map about as thoroughly as a CMx1 3:12 represented battalion. I suspect even a single squad mini-scenario could look crowded when they all rush the same building. Imagine your nine guys vs their nine guys fighting their way from kitchen to den to bathroom!

CM:Shock Force will probably be a bit of a 'shock' to us old CMx1 players, initially. No more watching the casualty counter on our 3 'generic' guys.