Back to CMSF after 1.08 and some observations

Been old player of CM-series since CMBO and sort of before (and was peeved by then BigTimeSoftware announcement they went for 3D instead of my beloved ASL/Steel Panthers view... :D )

I like how TacAI works now, seems to be reasonable, but then, I play only turn-based, since I actually want to know what happened.

These are are probably answered..or not..since BFC forums lack the drive when I was active here.

Some things now strike me odd. Hunt command does not Hunt, like in CM-series. It seems to work like Move to Contact in older versions. That's quite ass-backwards. If it was supposed to work like that, why call it Hunt? And why there is no Move to Contact ? That is not real Hunt-command, it seems...where unit continues to move when threat is neutralized ?

Game seems to be working fine now...but same thing makes me wonder as with my last attempt with game after patch 1.04... I lost 2 M1A1HCs, both hull down, to Syrian T72whatevers from over 1k distance. I wonder why, they were hits to heaviest armour those tanks had, did look like front turret hits. Fine with me, but strikes me odd.

Originally posted by Sardaukar:

... Hunt command does not Hunt, like in CM-series. It seems to work like Move to Contact in older versions. ...where unit continues to move when threat is neutralized? ...

That's something I also would like to be changed/added: two different commands for 'move til contact' and 'hunt'!

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sardaukar:

to Syrian T72whatevers from over 1k distance

I’m afraid the “whatevers” matter as to whether they were hit by 125 mm APFSDS or AT-11.

Different models have different capabilities and therefore different effectiveness. </font>

I have seen my T72 2001's 125mm APFSDS bouncing or shattering on M1A1HC front armor in the scenario a fistfull of doodads as close as 30 metres!

So I don't want M1A1 armor be increased anymore! :D

I got the same results at close range with M1A1 vs M1A1 at close range : 120mm APFSDS round won't penetrate the front armor.

One of the reasons I really miss those detailed penetration messages from CM1. Like "Turret front hit - Ricochet" or "Turret side penetration -Knocked out"...and even better: "Turret front hit to weak spot-Penetration-Knocked out". Now it is difficult to figure out what happened...and I'm not sure if graphics can be relied to figure the hit locations out.

Mentioned this in Bug list already couple of times, but because i tecnically came back after 1.08, i think i have techincally suitable reason to keep on trolling also in this topic too... Eh... Anyways... Does mines and IEDs work on everyone? Because my CMSF crashes if mission has them and i click on some unit...

Uninstalled CMSF and installed new 1.07 from battlefront-site (bought electronic copy of it). In this mines&IEDs does work, then i downloaded battlefront all-inclusive 1.08 patch (earlier tried 1.08 patch ment only for 1.07, incrential or something), and still no luck. Just crash... ****e.

Mine and IEDs crashing your game? Yeh, that's wierd. Off the top of my head, are you running any mods? If its just you maybe a corrupt piece of 3rd party art is bringing everything down.

T72 penetrating hull-down Abrams from 1k is extremely unusual. You see it as a possible bug, others will see it as assurance after their T72s had failed to ever penetrate an Abrams! Abrams may be an übertank but its not invulnerable. My otherwise uninformed eyeballs see a fair-sized shot trap between the hull and turret right up to the turret ring. Back in mediaeval times a knight might carry a short dagger as well as a broadsword. Once his heavily armored foe is on his back he'd use the dagger to slip in between the chinks in the armor and dispatch him. There's always going to be some small spot you can reach the guy through.

[ April 11, 2008, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

MikeyD,

I've never understood why that obvious to me shot trap was allowed in the first place. ISTR the Russians have explicitly commented on it as an aimpoint in their military writings. With a flat-shooting gun, in close, I see no reason why it couldn't be hit--except for the small matter of a superbly trained and equipped Abrams crew with other plans in mind!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Mine and IEDs crashing your game? Yeh, that's wierd. Off the top of my head, are you running any mods? If its just you maybe a corrupt piece of 3rd party art is bringing everything down.

No mods. Now that i think of it, it might be some corruption in downloaded install file of CMSF. Have to keep on digging.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

T72 penetrating hull-down Abrams from 1k is extremely unusual. You see it as a possible bug, others will see it as assurance after their T72s had failed to ever penetrate an Abrams! Abrams may be an übertank but its not invulnerable. My otherwise uninformed eyeballs see a fair-sized shot trap between the hull and turret right up to the turret ring. Back in mediaeval times a knight might carry a short dagger as well as a broadsword. Once his heavily armored foe is on his back he'd use the dagger to slip in between the chinks in the armor and dispatch him. There's always going to be some small spot you can reach the guy through.

It strikes me odd too. And I am last one to advocate that M1A1HC or even M1A2 should be invulnerable to frontal penetrations.

I wonder if it's *map* problem, since I have had it in same scenario in 1.04, 1.06 and in 1.08. Allah's Fist, or whatever, scenario that comes with the game. First I did wonder if it's feature when penetrators pass thru ground and hit the belly of the tank, but in latest case it is impossible...to me at least. Unless it's secret mole ATGM :D

Top hit/belly hit/low glacis hit might been the issue...*if* map and combat calculations were askewed in comparison somehow... Seems not to be too far from deducting the reason considering some posts.

When it comes to issue of "shot traps", there are no such things in modern tanks. That is because modern penetrator rounds do not richocet like WW II counterparts. But that is really out of my sphere to debate, never been a tanker but infantry.

About only tank design with big conscious effort to eliminate "turret ring hit" is Merkava 3/4.