BM42M or better?

Holo

Yeah, but does it have to be DU? I think that BM-42M is tungsten and is rated (at least what the web data implies) 600RHAe at 2000m. I guess, in game terms, it would be like confronting T-34/85 against Tiger I, which can give results under 1000m (alhtough with high casulties on Russian side). So, with BM-42M maybe Syrian player would have some chance at 1500-2000m against M1A2?

This is the 125mm ammo info I have for Syria:

APFSDS

1980 3BM9/12/15?

1990s? Possible upgrade.

HEAT

1980 3BK14/18?

HE

1980 3OF19?

Comments: Little information is available about Syrian ammunition holdings. They presumably received standard export ammunition with their initial shipments. Later shipments may have allowed the opportunity for newer ammunition, although this is conjecture.

I think that you are all forgeting one little thing, modern MBT's such as the M1A1/2 can make a first round hit at a tank size target from up to 4500 m', while Soviet MBT's, from T-72 and down, can make a fist round hit at a tank size target from up to 2500 m'.

So here you have a major advantage for US armor forces, so i dont think that the Syrian army will be too keen to engage with US tanks.

I believe that they will relay heavily on ATGM's such as the Kornet E, Milan, Metis and even the aging Sagger.

Oren_m

Does anyone know if Syria makes use of static AT guns. I know you can still buy them with modern smoothbore AT cannons attached, and I always thought the concept was no less valid now than in WW2. Especially as a cheap assymetric type way of knocking out a M1. Even better strap one on the back of a truck and you have a vehicle about as useful and survivable as a T-72 smile.gif

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

Does anyone know if Syria makes use of static AT guns. I know you can still buy them with modern smoothbore AT cannons attached, and I always thought the concept was no less valid now than in WW2. Especially as a cheap assymetric type way of knocking out a M1. Even better strap one on the back of a truck and you have a vehicle about as useful and survivable as a T-72 smile.gif

My sources say that Syria still fields a few of the old 100mm BS-3 guns.

They field 'well over 400' of the much newer and much better but still outdated Soviet 100mm T-12 guns.

For their army reserve (and if things do indeed get desperate) they can pull out the 85mm D-44 gun.

Their airborne forces have a 57mm ATG avaliable but I doubt they would ever use it and I do not think the Syrians have the capability to even air deoploy their 'airborne' forces.

I would expect the BS-3 and T-12 to be in the game and possibly the D-44

Problem with ATG these days what Oren mentioned.

You can engage them from extreme distance once they are found, and infantry can knock them out very easily with an ATGM which also outranges them.

Problem is spotting them.

Fortunatly the T-12 is a massive weapon and probably could not be put into a house unless some serious work was done to gut said house.

[ August 21, 2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: rudel.dietrich ]

Originally posted by oren_m:

I think that you are all forgeting one little thing, modern MBT's such as the M1A1/2 can make a first round hit at a tank size target from up to 4500 m', while Soviet MBT's, from T-72 and down, can make a fist round hit at a tank size target from up to 2500 m'.

So here you have a major advantage for US armor forces, so i dont think that the Syrian army will be too keen to engage with US tanks.

I believe that they will relay heavily on ATGM's such as the Kornet E, Milan, Metis and even the aging Sagger.

Oren_m

Originally posted by Mike S:

US 3k-4k targeting can be achieved under optimal conditions but this advantage can be easily overcome by effective use of terrain.

Best free software of the 21st century (so far)... Google Earth!

Those mountains in the south east look nasty for an invading force to try and take.

Where would the US be attacking from? Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey or Iraq?

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mike S:

US 3k-4k targeting can be achieved under optimal conditions but this advantage can be easily overcome by effective use of terrain.

Where would the US be attacking from? Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey or Iraq? </font>

Originally posted by oren_m:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J Ruddy:

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by oren_m:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J Ruddy: