Details about body armor modeling

I remember reading that the weight of body armor is taken into consideration for tiring and movement.

How are the protection benefits from body armor modeled? Can US troops in body armor shrug off some "hits" that would cause a casualty to unarmored Syrians? Are any of the Syrians armored? If so, how does that compare to US armor?

Did any of the playtesters test this?

Hi David

From what I mind:

Not sure how it is modelled.

Yes to protection from body armour.

Yes - Syrian Special Forces

Not sure.

I did'nt personally test body armour modelling although I know there were discussions about it in the beta testing - sure someone will come laong and give you the low down.

Cheers fur noo

george

3 guys firing automatic weapons at close range at guys in the open? Don't think body armour would make any odds considering your face and lower legs are exposed. Enough hits will take a man down and seriously wound/lill him I would have thought?

Cheers fur noo

George

Body armor would be tricky to test. It is not proof against rifle or above rounds. It is proof against pistol rounds (extremely rare on the battlefield). It is really ment to reduce injuries from shrapnel ie. grenades and artillery.

I suppose the best test would be to have an American squad near the beaten area of an artillery attack and then try it with a Syrian squad.

Body armoured is modelled, both protection-wise and weight-wise. US troops have better but heavier armour, Unconventionals have none.

The way to test this would be to have a PK machinegun fire at a US, a Syrian army and an unconventional squad (you can have the exact same machine gun by making it a Red vs Red scenario) and running each of those setups a few dozens of times, counting how long it takes to kill them all. Do it at basic level to ensure spotting and the targets with no ammo so they don't shoot back. The unconventionals should fall soonest. Then again, I don't know if either the US or Syrian vest is supposed to stop a PK bullet or at what ranges.

Speed and fatigation can be tested more easily.

Originally posted by Woodey:

Body armor would be tricky to test. It is not proof against rifle or above rounds. It is proof against pistol rounds (extremely rare on the battlefield). It is really ment to reduce injuries from shrapnel ie. grenades and artillery.

Modern military vests should stop an AK-47 bullet quite reliably.

Aye, the interceptor armor being used will stop 7.62 rounds if they hit the ballistic inserts. The insert covers a significant portion of the vitals area but not all and one still has the legs, arms, neck and head sticking out.

I would absolutly want to be wearing one if someone was shooting at me but a burst of AK rounds could still mess me up pretty badly.

After playing exclusively Blue side I finally got hold of some Red irregular forces to try out. I gave a 'Fast' movement command and those guys took off running like a bat out of hell! One readily apparent difference between armored and non-armored infantry is the non-armor guy''s certainly going to beat you in a foot race! :eek: smile.gif

At game end you should really see a MUCH worse killed-to-wounded ratio among soldiers without body armor. Especially if you're doing long range engagements. The U.S. side can see 16 wounded to 1 killed, the Syrians are never so lucky. But offload you Stryker 90m from a hidden Syrian mg team and no amount of body armor's going to save 'em.

Just off the top of my head (daydreaming), I would love to see an animation for Body armor hits. Like that Juba the sniper (or whatever his name was) when he hit that medic in the chest. The guy collapsed, got back up and ran for cover.

While I would assume that in the middle of combat you would shrug off an ak round while performing duties (hitting the armor), it would be cool that if ambushed guys would animated being suprised and taking one in the plate.